Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Lawyer Up?

Rate this question

usdart

Question

I made inital contact with Woods and Woods and explained my situation briefly. They will be contacting me when they can.

What is the average fee for these cases?

Will they work on it for part of the Compensation I may get?

Does it speed up or slow down the process?

I just want to have my ducks in a row if possible when we speak.

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I made inital contact with Woods and Woods and explained my situation briefly. They will be contacting me when they can.

What is the average fee for these cases?

Will they work on it for part of the Compensation I may get?

Does it speed up or slow down the process?

I just want to have my ducks in a row if possible when we speak.

Yes, if they take your case on it can be on a contingency basis, I believe it's 20 percent of any retro granted.

If you have to go on to the CAVC - then the lawyer will probably collect from EAJA.

• HadIt.com Elder

20% retro is well worth it if otherwise you face 5-15 years of runaround at the VA. If I could have hired a lawyer who would have given me some guidance 20 years ago I would have gladly paid it out of retro. When I found myself in over my head in CUE claim I immediately went out shopping for a lawyer. In my original CUE the VARO just ignored all my arguments and citations to CAVC cases. The VA just said "NO, there was no CUE". I knew I was going to need a lawyer because I knew my case would never be decided at lower level where CUE occurred.

John

John is on the money. Most Firms, especially the big names, will usually charge nothing up front and 20% in the rear, which is well worth it. Good luck and keep us posted.

Legally, the most they can charge is 20% of your retroactive pay. If they charge more, they have to send you a waiver to sign for them to get more. I did this with Bosley and Bratch and am regretting it now. Of course, I can fire them if I want and you will have the same option. A lawyer definitely helps to get through all of the legal jargon, but I haven't seen where it expedites any decision making. At least not here at Bay Pines in Florida. I lost my BVA hearing with a lawyer, but got a remand on one issue. Increase your chances, Lawyer up and good luck!

I decided to wait for the decision on my C&P exams. There is no since (in my tiny mind) to give up 20% when I have not been denied anything yet.

Things seem to be going my way and I don't think I need an extra layer of paper at this time. Must remain patient and vigilant.

Anyone agree with that? If not, Why not?