Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ssdi Tax...

Rate this question

rpowell01

Question

Just curious about this. I was award SSDI back on January 31 of 2014. Today I as award TDIU. Is our VA compensation calculated in with our SSDI to see if our SSDI is taxable or not?

I need to know this too

100% PTSD

100% Back

60% Bladder Issues

50% Migraines 
30% Crohn's Disease

30% R Shoulder

20% Radiculopathy, Left lower    10% Radiculopathy, Right lower 
10% L Knee  10% R Knee Surgery 2005&2007
10% Asthma
10% Tinnitus
10% Damage of Cranial Nerve II

10% Scars

SMC S

SMC K

OEF/OIF VET     100% VA P&T, Post 911 Caregiver, SSDI

Nope I just found out navy...Here is how it works. Your VA comp is not calculated in as income for SSDI tax.

Here is the other one. Your kids dependent payments are NOT taxable either and are NOT calculated as income as part of your SSDI income. Only YOUR SSDI income and your wife's incomes are calculated. Here is how it works:

If you are married and file a joint return, you may have to pay taxes on 50 percent of your benefits if you and your spouse have a combined income that is between $32,000 and $44,000. If your combined income is more than $44,000, up to 85 percent of your Social Security benefits is subject to income tax.

So, if you and your wife's income; Your SSDI (just yours not any dependents payouts) and your wife's income is over $32,000 then I would go to the SSDI office and have them take out the percentage you choose. Its something like 7%, 10% and so on. I don't know the rest of the numbers.

Myself we only went over the 32,000 limit by 700 dollars I its not even worth having them take it out. I will just pay it in at the end of the year. It will just minus what I will receive is all how it works.

If you need more help on this let me know. All the information is all on the internet by using google and asking the correct question.

Right......I just dropped off my tax stuff to my tax lady.....

She always needs my SSA 1099 form and also the letter I get from VA annually as to my DIC payment.

A few years ago I gave her something I got from the VA web site that verified the non taxable nature of the DIC....This is a small farm community and she was not too familiar with DIC when I met her.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

My wife only makes 12K on paper, and I don't have any other income. So we will be fine, thanks again guys for the Info.

100% PTSD

100% Back

60% Bladder Issues

50% Migraines 
30% Crohn's Disease

30% R Shoulder

20% Radiculopathy, Left lower    10% Radiculopathy, Right lower 
10% L Knee  10% R Knee Surgery 2005&2007
10% Asthma
10% Tinnitus
10% Damage of Cranial Nerve II

10% Scars

SMC S

SMC K

OEF/OIF VET     100% VA P&T, Post 911 Caregiver, SSDI

• Founder

Your VA Disability Compensation is NOT counted as income, you do not receive a 1099 nor do you list it on tax return.

Tbird

Founder HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran LLC - Founded Jan 20, 1997

HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran | Community Forum | RallyPointFaceBook | LinkedInAbout Me

Time Dedicated to HadIt.com Veterans and my brothers and sisters: 65,700 - 109,500 Hours Over Thirty Years

diary-a-mad-sailor-signature-banner.png

I am writing my memoirs and would love it if you could help a shipmate out and look at it.

I've had a few challenges, perhaps the same as you. I relate them here to demonstrate that we can learn, overcome, and find purpose in life.

The stories can be harrowing to read; they were challenging to live. Remember that each story taught me something I would need once I found my purpose, and my purpose was and is HadIt.com Veterans.