VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What Happens If You Move While Claim Is Stuck On Hamster Wheel?

Rate this question

Slowlane

Question

My claim is sitting in St Pete awaiting a SOC so I can to move on to BVA.

What happens if I move to Alabama and request all my paperwork be transferred to the Montgomery RO?

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

I've moved 7 times including 4 states and my RO is still Los Angeles. I'm in Alabama now. I don't know if that means anything or not. I wouldn't transfer because you might end up on the bottom of the new RO's pile. Montgomery is one of the slower RO's. Good luck in your move.

My original claim filed July 7, 2010 was at St Pete because I was living in Orlando FL, Denied and filed appeal, requested review. Moved to Georgia in August 2011 and filed about 8 more issues, then NSC pension in October 2011. File got moved here to Atlanta, although they say the pension is under Philadelphia, my file is here in Atlanta.

I wish they would assign a serial number like when claims are first filed and they have to adjudicate in order. Saying they do them in order and that actually happening is another matter and we have no way of knowing. Still it stands to reason that if it gets out or "order" for any reason be it

Congressional inquiry, request for copy of C file, moving, etc. then there is a good chance that it would "move" in the pile.

I guess the question boils down to the amount of work to be done at the older versus the new VARO. Course if you have to move then it sort of a rhetorical question..

• HadIt.com Elder

If you have to move while your claim is under review then you must make every effort to make sure the VA knows where you are. I think voluntary move with a claim up in the air is a bad idea usually. Your forwarding order with the USPS is only good for a year. The VA is bound to screw it up at some point and send something to the old address. It gets returned "Forwarding Order Expired/Return to Sender". Then if it is important your claim dies.

Thanks for your replies guys......gives me a lot to think about......I belive I can handle the move and keep up with my case.......I just feel like St Pete is going to bury this as far as they can.

• In Memoriam

I moved from Los Angeles to Ark. in 2004. I had VA send my mail to my sister in fullerton CA. She then forwarded the mail to me. After about 2 years here I changed the mailing address. I was expecting a decision that I did not get until 3 years after moving.

One thing I will suggest is that you go to records and get all of your Fl. VA medical records printed out. Then when you are at the Ala. VA go to the records and have them copy them under your name. This will save a lot of hastle.

Moving can be tough.