Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Never Meet Attorney Face To Face Only Phone And Mail, Normal?

Rate this question

marine0816

Question

I want to appeal my decision and I think I want to go the lawyer route, because I don't want to take any chances. My VSO has been MIA and I don't want to appeal by myself. I have found the Veteran law group based out of Virginia. The case manager has answered all me emails so far. they told me that we will never need meet face to face and everything will be handled through phone and mail. Is this normal for Veteran lawyers not to meet face to face and to be thousand of miles from their clients? And will they represent me at hearings without my presence?Thanks you

Edited by marine0816

2004-06= 0%

2006-13= 10%

2013-14= 30%

2014-17= 90%

2017= 100%                  

2018 = 100% PT (still at BVA)

Thank you for your service.... Even though I just started my appeal in Nov 2013, I have met with my attorney twice and his assistant 3 times. I personally would feel better if my attorney meets me face to face. Without that meeting you are just another number (same issue with VA). Did you do any homework on his track record? Are there any attorneys in your area?

I fought for my country , now I'm fighting my country ... Something is not Right Here!!!

Thank you for your service.... Even though I just started my appeal in Nov 2013, I have met with my attorney twice and his assistant 3 times. I personally would feel better if my attorney meets me face to face. Without that meeting you are just another number (same issue with VA). Did you do any homework on his track record? Are there any attorneys in your area?

The top local lawyers here didn't do it for me. I found this firm through hadit. I would rather meet face to face. But I'm having trouble finding a good one in the DC area. So this is why I am posting this topic, I'm not sure if I can work without seeing you

Edited by marine0816

2004-06= 0%

2006-13= 10%

2013-14= 30%

2014-17= 90%

2017= 100%                  

2018 = 100% PT (still at BVA)

These days with everything on the internet and email so easy to access, I think it's very common to not meet face to face.

However, you need to do what is right for you. If you feel more comfortable with someone local, then that's what you need to do.

Would using Skype or another video chat service be an option for those lawyers?

• HadIt.com Elder

Something I should mention. When you sign any agreement for the services of an attorney, you should add onto the agreement, that the attorney will send you copies of all work and/or correspondence related to your case that both s/he and the opposing representative(s) have written/sent regarding your case. Additionally, you should require a monthly report of all hours spent working on your case. Any attorney not willing to do this might be suspect of padding their hours. jmo

You should have no problem finding a good attorney, in the DC area, as that's where the BVA and Court are located. One does not need to be local to represent in a VA claim.

pr

I wanted a local attorney but, like you, wasn't satisfied with the feel I was getting from them so would have gone to distant lawyer if I hadn't been successful on my own.

Excellent advice by Philip. Ensure they have responded in writing to any concerns you may have about the process and fees with them. Go for it! :smile: