Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Never Meet Attorney Face To Face Only Phone And Mail, Normal?

Rate this question

marine0816

Question

I want to appeal my decision and I think I want to go the lawyer route, because I don't want to take any chances. My VSO has been MIA and I don't want to appeal by myself. I have found the Veteran law group based out of Virginia. The case manager has answered all me emails so far. they told me that we will never need meet face to face and everything will be handled through phone and mail. Is this normal for Veteran lawyers not to meet face to face and to be thousand of miles from their clients? And will they represent me at hearings without my presence?Thanks you

Edited by marine0816

2004-06= 0%

2006-13= 10%

2013-14= 30%

2014-17= 90%

2017= 100%                  

2018 = 100% PT (still at BVA)

• HadIt.com Elder

You will probably meet your lawyer at your first hearing in front of BVA or even DRO. My lawyer flew from New Jersey to Tampa to represent me at DRO and also BVA hearing. Then we went to CAVC and he does not need me there. Now to federal court and I don't think he needs to see me there. We may not win but I think he has given it his all. Your lawyer will need your entire C-File and any other records you have. The VA stalled on providing him my records, so I sent him my copy of my c-file to get the thing off the ground. I got it back. If the claim is complicated and in appeals I don't blame you for hiring a lawyer. Short of becoming Phil, Berta, Carlie or AskNod that is probably your best bet to hire a lawyer.

John

We've been assisted by an excellent veterans law firm in Virginia since 2005, near the DC area, that has represented my husband before the Court several times. We have spoken often on the phone and more extensively through email, although never in person. We've seen no need to meet in person. We specifically looked for a firm in the DC area. They are capable and responsive. Message me if you want the details.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I have chosen a long distance attorney based on all your helpful information. Thank you.

2004-06= 0%

2006-13= 10%

2013-14= 30%

2014-17= 90%

2017= 100%                  

2018 = 100% PT (still at BVA)

My brother has had a Lawyer for his SSDI claim, going on 2 1/2 years and he has only met them once face to face. He says they email him and call him regularly. Good luck

100% PTSD

100% Back

60% Bladder Issues

50% Migraines 
30% Crohn's Disease

30% R Shoulder

20% Radiculopathy, Left lower    10% Radiculopathy, Right lower 
10% L Knee  10% R Knee Surgery 2005&2007
10% Asthma
10% Tinnitus
10% Damage of Cranial Nerve II

10% Scars

SMC S

SMC K

OEF/OIF VET     100% VA P&T, Post 911 Caregiver, SSDI

I would also contact the local bar association and make sure the attorney/firm is in good standing. I personally would prefer face to face meetings so you can be advised or updated as the claim proceeds. In lieu of face to face or telephone contacts, you have to be the main facilitator of your claim. Make sure you understand the plan of action and what is expected of you during this process. I wish you well and keep us updated. Your process and the information you gain might valuably help another veteran down the road.