VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Psychologist Very Rude And Cold!

Rate this question

DocNyger

Question

Hey fellow Vets and all, I have another issue I was hoping someone could help me with.....

I have been getting treatment from a VA contracted psychologist for a little over 2 years. My psychologist up and moved to Cali last month and I finally saw the new one today. She was very uninviting and at some point I felt like I was bothering her. Often I shake and just feel comfortable looking around to check my surroundings. The therapist would state things such as " why do you do that" and "the medicine doesn't make you do that." .. I felt like I was being questioned by the FBI... I could tell she didn't even read my file and she kelp saying I can't see your file. Well after everything was finished, she simply said " ok take this paper to the front desk to make an appointment and I'll see you in two months to check your medication". No thank you or by or nothing... I went to the front and told the secretary that I did not want to see that particular doctor again. Do you think I was over acting? What would you have done? Also I am thinking about try group therapy for PTSD from the VA... Has anyone experienced this type of therapy? Thank you in advance.

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Should've asked her what is her damn problem! You are here to help the vets! I would definitely complain, threaten that you will report your treatment to the media. Glad you asked for another Dr. That is a bunch of crap! Hang in there Doc

You did right to ask for another provider. You need to have a good relationship with psychiatrist/psychologist in order for the treatment to work. If you didn't get a warm fuzzy from her then find someone who will at least treat you with respect.

I have to see a new VA Psychiatrist next week and I am anxious about it. I guess here in Nashville we get resident docs from the University of Vanderbilt. I am not all that excited to start all over again, but it looks like I will change docs every 6 months. I guess that could be better than being stuck with someone who isn't doing the job.

You should never stay with a doctor ether psych or medical that you can't work with especially if they are rude or not treating you right.

As far as VA groups, I've only been to groups for depression, and they helped me a lot. I liked the groups that I went to in Atlanta, but now that I am in Nashville I haven't went to group. They can take a lot of time up depending on how often they meet...but if transportation is not a problem I would recommend trying one out.

Hang in there it gets better...you just have to stay on it.

Hey fellow Vets and all, I have another issue I was hoping someone could help me with.....

I have been getting treatment from a VA contracted psychologist for a little over 2 years. My psychologist up and moved to Cali last month and I finally saw the new one today. She was very uninviting and at some point I felt like I was bothering her. Often I shake and just feel comfortable looking around to check my surroundings. The therapist would state things such as " why do you do that" and "the medicine doesn't make you do that." .. I felt like I was being questioned by the FBI... I could tell she didn't even read my file and she kelp saying I can't see your file. Well after everything was finished, she simply said " ok take this paper to the front desk to make an appointment and I'll see you in two months to check your medication". No thank you or by or nothing... I went to the front and told the secretary that I did not want to see that particular doctor again. Do you think I was over acting? What would you have done? Also I am thinking about try group therapy for PTSD from the VA... Has anyone experienced this type of therapy? Thank you in advance.

I'd keep in mind that she is new and she could also be checking out how I'm reacting.

If you don't want to give her another try then keep letting them know you are not

comfortable with her and you need a different provider.

It's ALWAYS hard to change MH providers, especially after 2 years like you are doing.

During that two years you BUILT a provider / patient relationship.

The first visits with a new one are usually quite difficult.

jmho

Editing to add:

IMO - MH providers are not always warm and fuzzy, example,

when I go off the deep end and need some really firm words,

I get them - because I need them - has helped keep me alive

a time or two in the past.

Just saying.

Dont get Irate with the doctor, you will lose. they have a panic button they can push, and rent a cops will have you kissing cold floor, or shoot you with a bean bag gun before you can say rumplestiltskin. Just request another doctor, and tell them you were not a good fit.. if they press you, tell them they were condescending to you. also you may be able to report the doctor to the bar association. maybe make a complaint. They are very well protected by the Va AND federal govt, but they are still liscensed.