VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Military Medical Records (Where Could They Be)

Rate this question

Fat

Question

I have a co worker whom husband severely fractured his femur and tore his knee up in basic training in 2001.

He was hospitalized for 5 months while he recovered and subsequentially discharged upon him recovering.

He received no injury pay, just a hope you get well wish. He still has surgical pins in his femur bone and left knee.

He is bothered with restless leg syndrome, stiffness, limited ROM, and pain.

In addition, he is not able to maintain a regular exercise program due to the physical limitations.

He seems to have a fairly decent claim for the injuries; however the VA is unable to locate his medical records.

They sent correspondence to Missouri and they replied, "no records of note".

He called the hospital where the surgery was performed and they indicated they no longer have the records either.

Records don't just disappear, but they have to be somewhere.

I even think due to the short stint in service, the personnel and medical records might be somewhere together.

Any good information and leads would be greatly appreciated.

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Have him write his US Senator explaining his situation. Just one senator, not all of them (I learned a lesson there, they all use the same service reps, etc.).

I did this trying to locate my hospital record and received a response from the senator saying they were unable to locate any such record, however, he must have shook a branch somewhere, as I got my record in the medical unit in the mail a couple months later with my hospital record.

This was a record that I needed for a SC claim that the VA was unable to locate also.

Hamslice

• HadIt.com Elder

They generally discharge anyone who injures themselves, that early, as unfit(or something like that) for military service w/no MEB/PEB. If he was hospitalized in a civilian hospital, it may have made the local paper.

pr

If it was at a local hospital, they probably don't have them anymore. I needed some records from the ER at a local hospital I was at in 2006. Called the hospital records department and they stated they are only required to keep them for 7 years.

• HadIt.com Elder

He should have his military discharge papers and a DD214!!

I understand it

Any veteran who takes the oath and spends at least 30 days in basic training and is then so discharged other than dishonorable is in titled to VA Benefits. if no medical records are found then he can use buddy statements that was in is platoon during basic training that this event did happen to him while in basic training.

Surprise!!!!!!!!!!!

The records mysteriously appeared at his home address four months ago.

Kind of weird ; however now he has filed his NOD and is awaiting C&P exams..

His wife is a special person because she never gave up and diligently sent notices everywhere for the records.

I think he has an excellent claim, but time will tell.

Thanks everybody..................