VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Do I Have A Valid Claim For Medication Induced Ed?

Rate this question

vern2

Question

My C & P exam for ED last year was denied later by the RO, stating that my ED was caused by medications and age. This is what the VA contract doctor put in his opinion.

I agree with in part as it was my contention when I filed the claim for ED that my 7 high blood pressure medications caused the ED, along with the uncontrolled hypertension. My question is, do I have valid claim or not. The medications clearly state on the warnings that come with each prescription that they may have side effect of causing ED. I have lettter from my Urologist and his DBQ to support my contention, but it appears this was ignored, as not even on the list of evidence in the denial letter. Found the instructions listed below from a VSO on filing claims for secondary service connecction.

SECONDARY SERVICE CONNECTION: If you are filing a claim for a condition that has been caused or aggravated by a service connected condition or its medication, you must provide medical evidence that state the condition you are claiming was either cause or aggravated by your service-connected condition and/or medications taken for service connected condition(s).

Based on this, it would appear that I have a valid claim, but my claim is in appeal stage now, still at RO.

Does anyone have experience in this area, medications causing a condition that can be claimed?

As far as age, the VARO put this several times in the denial letter, but it is my contention that age is not a factor UNLESS I am viling for PENSION, but my claim is for A DISABILITY.

VERN, aka the Hamster Man, (still in the wheel, but going nowhere)

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

Yes of course this is a valid claim! Many many vets have had claims just like this approved. Once again the RO has done another wrongful denial. The doc threw in the age thing to give them plausible denyability.

If you haven't already, make sure to tell the RO that your urologist DBQ was ignored.

Also if you could get an IMO stating that the ED is not due to age but rather due to the medications that would really help your claim. And give a rebuttal for any other reasons they denied you. It's a shame because you really shouldn't need to do this. VA should have competent doctors that give unbiased reports. Unfortunately they don't.

Thanks Navy Wife, I had that IME letter and it was part of evidence, but again it was ignored in favor of the VA examiners statement that my ED was caused by medications and age!!

BTW: I am now taking a total of 7 medications for HTN, up from 2 in 2002 when my HTN went out of control.

Vern2

• HadIt.com Elder

VA is bring up age to invalidate your claim. You need an IME to say your ED is due to VA prescribed meds. Age is a NSC factor. You have to rule it out.

You can always claim ED, secondary to a medical condition or when it is caused by a lot of medication. I have helped a lot of Vets with this claim, even had a fellow female Vet granted Secondary% for reduction in Estrogen due Multiple Psych Meds. Good luck and keep us posted. Remember that the VA will always low ball us first, and grant last.

VA is bring up age to invalidate your claim. You need an IME to say your ED is due to VA prescribed meds. Age is a NSC factor. You have to rule it out.

John, what does NSC mean? I think it means non service connection, but not sure?

Vern2