Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Bbe Arrived Today.

Rate this topic

DDuck

No NOD at this point. You don't wanted to appeal it yet. You just want the most recent diagnosis to be rated properly. So write a statement on the form I supplied in your prior post and ask that the ratings be reconsidered based on the most recent medical records. I would take a copy of the kidney disease DBQ with you when you see the kidney doc and ask him/her to fill it out best they can. If you have a DBQ you won't need another C&P exam. Shouldn't need one anyway but we all know that tricks are for kids.

Edited by GatorNavy

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Hey Duck,

Congratulations on your win!

Regarding the GERD, it indicated H. Pylori. Apparently, this is actually not too difficult to acquire and/or clear with meds. You can get it, clear it, and get it again later. One of my reps (a good one, before she retired), said that if you test positive for H. Pylori, they will not grant GERD. I am not sure if this is 100% accurate.

However, one thing to think of is to check your service/private medical treatment records and see how many times you saw the doc for GERD --- look all the way back, every page, front and back. See if they ever tested you for it. The Army never tested me. The VA did not test me until 15 years after I was out. For this to advance to the degree of Barrets, you had to have had erosion for quite a long time. If you were not tested, or you tested negative and now test positive, you might be able to argue that to your favor. To heck with H. Pylori, it might have been double trouble from this and the NSAIDS.

The NSAIDS (i.e. ibuprofen) are a prime cause of GERD. I was given loads of ibuprofen while in the service. After I got out, the VAMC continued to give me ibuprofen and naproxen. It got worse and worse, but then Celebrex went generic and the VA got it, they switched me to it. The switch to it and a switch to different anti-acid meds made a really big difference, but I still have episodes similar to swallowing acid from car batteries. I am not sure if this could help you get some relief, but I hope it definitely gets you off the cheap stuff.

Good luck!

"If it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid."
- From Murphy's Laws of Combat

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, so use at own risk and/or consult a qualified professional representative. Please refer to existing VA laws, regulations, and policies for the most up to date information.

I was treated for H. Pylori twice when I was active, and I am SC for GERD along with Crohn's and Baretts Disease.

100% PTSD

100% Back

60% Bladder Issues

50% Migraines 
30% Crohn's Disease

30% R Shoulder

20% Radiculopathy, Left lower    10% Radiculopathy, Right lower 
10% L Knee  10% R Knee Surgery 2005&2007
10% Asthma
10% Tinnitus
10% Damage of Cranial Nerve II

10% Scars

SMC S

SMC K

OEF/OIF VET     100% VA P&T, Post 911 Caregiver, SSDI

I was told by my Gastro Doc that there is alot of conflicting information about H. pylori, some doctors believe it is nothing other believe it is a precusor to stomach cancer. I took home his informational packet talked with a few people about it and decided it was good to get treatment for it.

I am not too worried about them denying it because I was in the emergence at the age of 28 for severe acid reflux (aspirated stomach acid into lungs while sleeping), they looked down my throat at the ER and saw my Barretts and told me to goto a Gastro Doctor. They asked me why I hadn't before I told them I didn't think I had GERD the doctors laughed at me, after I told them I was taking 2400-3200mg a day ibuprofen and gave me a script for omeprazole and told me to try other homepathic remedies for pain managment.

After that I kept a empty big jug of 800mg pills the VA would give me because I felt it would come in handy one day. Man I wish there was a record all the times a DMT gave me sudafed and ibuprofen before dives during active duty, it was almost a ritual.

Just another thing that bites you in the butt by not offically complaining. I tell younger active duties to document everything, if they want to push through a injury, make sure it is documented and let the corpsmen/doc make the call for you. Don't suck it up unless its documented.

Dan

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use