VA Disability Claims Community Forums - HadIt.com Veterans
  • veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.

CHAT NOW

• question-001.jpeg

Have Questions? Get Answers.

Tips on posting on the forums.

1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery instead of ‘I have a question.

2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title.
      I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story.

Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading too:

exclamation-point.pngPost straightforward questions and then post background information.

Examples:

• Question A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    Rephrase the question: I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

• Question B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
    Rephrase the question: I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial of your claim?”

Note:

• Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• VA Watchdog

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Filed For Ssdi, Quarters Quesstion

cowgirl

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

SS office told me I needed to earn enough credits during last 5 years, however my application I submitted will remain open unitl that time. Everything I read said last 10 years. Didnt work between 94-03. Work a little now, can work at the price of my health. How can I win ?thanks. cg

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

9 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder
SS office told me I needed to earn enough credits during last 5 years, however my application I submitted will remain open unitl that time. Everything I read said last 10 years. Didnt work between 94-03. Work a little now, can work at the price of my health. How can I win ?thanks. cg

You need to get your disability onset date to somewhere between 94-03.

pr

• HadIt.com Elder
Thanks, will double check into that. Very true, my physical disability did in fact surface during that time frame. Thanks for the wake up call. Lumbar strain and circulation problems with legs, flat feet, plantar fascious, edema, military surgery; mensicus issue on knee.Havent had VA sugery, but do get support socks/sole inserts and physical therapy for back. Possible that I vaguely answered the question at SSDI intake regards when disabliity onset, because I was recalling back to day of onset during service, rather than current larger issues.cg

Remember to get anything you get from SS or VA in writing or it doesn't count. They cannot be held accountable for anything "said." You may need to get to the ALJ level to get your disability starting during the period 94-03. The closer to 94 the better - the higher your rate would probably be. jmo

pr

cowgirl,

I ritered on disability from the fed. in97. the ss sent me a ltr. annualy telling me I didn"t qualify for ss. I knew that I didn't pay any last 21 yrs. was on SSDI 6 before that 6 in svc. before that so no 40 qtrs. hit 62 now ltr says I can retire if I want. cause I qualify don't need 40 qtrs I'm on disability. Suggest u research Social Security Title of Law because they are just like VA they even swap records annually.

• HadIt.com Elder

Aus, thanks, I get ssdi. It was Bonnie that asked the updated question - a very good question too. I get the understanding that you have been on ssdi for a long time and can retire now, good for you!

Cg'up2009

p.s. am far, far from regular ssa retirement - giggles!

cowgirl,

I ritered on disability from the fed. in97. the ss sent me a ltr. annualy telling me I didn"t qualify for ss. I knew that I didn't pay any last 21 yrs. was on SSDI 6 before that 6 in svc. before that so no 40 qtrs. hit 62 now ltr says I can retire if I want. cause I qualify don't need 40 qtrs I'm on disability. Suggest u research Social Security Title of Law because they are just like VA they even swap records annually.

Edited by cowgirl (see edit history)

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks to Bonnie I have a new question..Pete, and anyone..

.if my va onset date is earlier than the ssdi date assigned, is it possible an earlier ssdi date award is due me? I struggled to get those last 40 credits, but fear that'll be used against me. Any thoughts? Ssdi recently awarded - last day worked (temp.occasional job) first quarter 08. sc for issue many years ago, recent increase - condition same, go figure.

Thanks,

Cg'up2009!

They should they have done it before Bonnie. You probably should see a Lawyer who does SS Claims.
Edited by cowgirl (see edit history)

• HadIt.com Elder

To get the earlier date you would have had to have it granted by the ALJ and or appealed your earlier award within the time frame. Sometimes if you already have what you want its best to take a long look before risking it. I have found that my exerience with Social Security to be much better than VA but I still think that if its complicated you should see a Lawyer who specializes in the SS.

• HadIt.com Elder

ausgmblr: If you've been on SSDI, previously, the rules are different. You may be able to get SSDI again, from '97 date of Fed disability, w/o having to take the reduced 62yo rate. Check into it and get whatever they "say" in writing. Remember, "if it can't be read, it wasn't said!"

pr

quote name='ausgmblr' date='Jan 25 2009, 03:41 PM' post='126536']

cowgirl,