VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&p Tomorrow, Advice Please

Rate this question

kate7772

Question

My Husband has his PTSD C&P tomorrow and he is understandably nervous. One thing we wonder about is, should he volunteer information and problems or just answer as asked?

Any other tips to help things go smoothly and help them understand?

Another thing I am concerned about is that my husband is still working about 16 hrs a week but just barely. He really isn't functional at work and not capable. The only reason he is still working is that I work at the same place and same job and do about 3/4 of his work. He forgets things, doesn't finish tasks and most times cannot work with his customers. We have developed a system where I fill in for him and so far our managers are unaware. He has gotten so many notices that he is messing up on things. We are petrified that he will be fired and maybe both of us. We are not costing the company any more but I know they would not be happy about it. To make the situation worse, the owner is anti-veteran.

He really isn't capable of being employed but he is.

Any helpful advice?

Thanks,

Kate

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

He definitely should not minimize his problems due to PTSD.

Nor minimize his stressors.

We have many PTSD C & P exam results here that vets have posted.recently ,,,maybe here or in our PTSD forum.

The questions on the PTSD exams they posted are what he can expect.

If they allow you into the exam ,you could tell the doc about the work issues but then again what he says is the primary info the dioc will need.

Maybe these posts will help:

My Husband has his PTSD C&P tomorrow and he is understandably nervous.

The above is most certainly very normal for just about any and all C&P's.

One thing we wonder about is, should he volunteer information and problems or just answer as asked?

Just be truthful as to what his worst days are like - if he were doing fine, he wouldn't be there.

SC of his PTSD will depend on the evidence of

1) a DX of PTSD

2) verification and acceptance of the stressor or fear of hostile military action

3) if the examiner DX's or confirms the PTSD and relates it to # 2 - then they will discuss

his symptomology and the ways PTSD effects his daily life - most importantly occupational

and social functioning.

Any other tips to help things go smoothly and help them understand?

See above.

Another thing I am concerned about is that my husband is still working about 16 hrs a week but just barely. He really isn't functional at work and not capable. The only reason he is still working is that I work at the same place and same job and do about 3/4 of his work. He forgets things, doesn't finish tasks and most times cannot work with his customers. We have developed a system where I fill in for him and so far our managers are unaware. He has gotten so many notices that he is messing up on things.

We are petrified that he will be fired and maybe both of us. We are not costing the company any more but I know they would not be happy about it. To make the situation worse, the owner is anti-veteran.

He really isn't capable of being employed but he is.

See # 3 above.

Hope this helps a vet.

jmho

carlie

Any helpful advice?

Thanks,

Kate

Had the C&P. Seemed to go well. The examiner was very nice and had no problem allowing me in the exam. Seemed pretty standard:family history, childhood, education, military history and problems since. My husband had a difficult time emotionally relating the stressors but did so thoroughly I think. Just took a lot out of him. After the exam, he took a 300 question mostly true/false test. This I did not sit in on. He said it was things like: Do you hate your mother?, Abuse?, Would you like a subscription to Sports Illustrated?.....

My only concern is that the examiner asked if my husband thought his kidney disease was contributing to the difficulties at work (lots of anxiety, panic attacks, many mistakes....). He had to cut back drastically on hours a couple years ago due to the edema from the kidney disease and that is when the ### really hit the fan with the accelerated PTSD symptoms. His VA counselor said this is a common occurrence when a veteran suffering from PTSD cannot work as much. Hope this examiner realizes this also.

So, now, we wait and see. On ebennies it says exam is due back today so maybe it will be on Myhealthyvet soon.

Thanks for all the advice given here.

Kate

Sounds like you're a great support for your husband. I am sure the examiner will take that into account 're: working 16 hours a week.

Glad the exam went well as expected. I am sure you will be able to see it any day now on MyHealthyVets. I had mine on a Thursday and it was uploaded by Monday.