Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Choice Cards

Rate this question

Berta

Question

About the Program

Many Veterans will now have the option to receive non-VA health care rather than waiting for a VA appointment or traveling to a VA facility.

Beginning November 5, 2014, the new Choice Program will begin to cover non-VA care for eligible Veterans enrolled in VA healthcare. Veterans are eligible if any of these situations apply to you:

You have been told by your local VA medical facility that you will need to wait more than 30 days from your preferred date or the date medically determined by your physician

Your current residence is more than 40 miles from the closest VA health care facility

You need to travel by plane or boat to the VA medical facility closest to your home

You face a geographic challenge, such as extensive distances around water or other geologic formations, such as mountains, which presents a significant travel hardship

More info at:

http://www.va.gov/opa/choiceact/

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

I wish these cards could be used for Dental Services seeing that it takes for ever to get an appointment and it's months before they see you. Been waiting over three months to get filling appointment!

• HadIt.com Elder

Jaybrown1

From what I understand is if you have a C-Card and live over 40 miles from your VAMC and can't get appointment within 30 days...then you can use a private Dr.. & if you pay the VA Refunds or that particular Dentist can call the VA , The information should be on your C-Card

But I am not 100%sure?

This is all new to all of us.

I have a C-Card but I can't use mine I live 23 miles from my VAMC, I don't know why the VA sent me one?

and it takes me 3 months to get appointment from the VA dentist too!

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

Buck52 and JayHrown,

According to info I received from Justrluk and John999, you can ask your VA dental clinic for approval to use a fee basis dentist near your home and they will provide you with a list of dentists near your home that accept VA vouchers. I was surprised at how many dentists were on the list near my home.

I don't think it matters if you have a choice card as long as your VA dental clinic approves of you going to the fee basis dentist. If you have to wait more than 30 days, they should approve it regardless of the distance you live from the VA dental clinic. JMO

That's exactly right from what I read and understand. You don't have to meet both requirements. If you live more than the mileage line OR have waited for an appointment in excess of 30 days you should be good.

Buck52 and JayHrown,

According to info I received from Justrluk and John999, you can ask your VA dental clinic for approval to use a fee basis dentist near your home and they will provide you with a list of dentists near your home that accept VA vouchers. I was surprised at how many dentists were on the list near my home.

I don't think it matters if you have a choice card as long as your VA dental clinic approves of you going to the fee basis dentist. If you have to wait more than 30 days, they should approve it regardless of the distance you live from the VA dental clinic. JMO

Mr. A

:ph34r: " FIGHT TILL YOUR LAST BREATH " :ph34r:

When I called the number on the card, the woman at the other end said I was not eligible and told me I should call my VAMC. When I did, the person I spoke to said "I wish they would not say that word!". In fact, I was told I had to have an active request for consult. Since I have standing appointments, she would have to see about getting new consults to see a neurologist and rheumatologist in my area. I already have a local neurologist, but could really use a local rheumatologist to check blood work, etc. from using Humira and Leflunomide. I'll post the response I get when she calls back.

Limbo is status quo for the VARO.