Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Choice Cards

Rate this question

Berta

Question

About the Program

Many Veterans will now have the option to receive non-VA health care rather than waiting for a VA appointment or traveling to a VA facility.

Beginning November 5, 2014, the new Choice Program will begin to cover non-VA care for eligible Veterans enrolled in VA healthcare. Veterans are eligible if any of these situations apply to you:

You have been told by your local VA medical facility that you will need to wait more than 30 days from your preferred date or the date medically determined by your physician

Your current residence is more than 40 miles from the closest VA health care facility

You need to travel by plane or boat to the VA medical facility closest to your home

You face a geographic challenge, such as extensive distances around water or other geologic formations, such as mountains, which presents a significant travel hardship

More info at:

http://www.va.gov/opa/choiceact/

• HadIt.com Elder

Well she has the best plan for the group she was paying 38.06 month and this month 2015 it went up to 45.67.

The Dentist did put her on a plan

The thing the Dentist do is do the work without checking with Met-Life or her.....like she had a filling done and needed a crown for that tooth. they did the crown but used a high priced crown so we had to pay the difference from what metlife paid..its not MetLife they did there part.

live and learn I guess.

• HadIt.com Elder

Many of these dentists should be wearing a mask and holding a gun. I had one the VA picked for me. She wanted to crown every tooth in my head. She claimed she did deep root planning and scaling when all it was was just a regular cleaning. Damn crook and I told the VA. They are changing me.

• HadIt.com Elder

haha Ain't that the truth John999

I tore my rotator cuff in late June, finally convinced my PCP in Sept we needed an MRI which showed torn tendons in my right shoulder. Got an appt in Oct to see an orthopedic doc and it got canceled and they said they would reschedule, they never called to rescheduled so I did and got in in late Oct. They gave me a shot of cortisone and put me on a list for surgery and another appt in Jan. I saw the ortho in Jan and was told surgery is the only option so I asked about getting it done locally since it has been longer than 30 day AND it is 190 miles round trip to where the surgery would be done. They told me I should know in a week (that was on Jan 22). I heard nothing but did call the number on the card I got in the mail and was told I am was basically not eligible. I sent a letter to my PCP's nurse a week ago asking if they could check with the ortho dept that put me on the surgery list last Oct to find out what the hell is going on and now no response from them. I am getting pretty frustrated with this whole thing and am about ready to call a congressman to see if he can get an answer from somebody. Thanks for letting me vent.

Edited by DickC

• HadIt.com Elder

Dick , call the new VA Sec Robert .Bob. McDonald, let his staff know what's going on!

Dick,

Good advice from Buck to contact Secretary McDonald. If you can not get him by phone, email him or Undersecretary Hickey. You may want to email both of them. Let them know you are in pain and need assistance ASAP.

Robert.A.McDonald@va.gov

Allison.Hickey@va.gov

Good luck to you.