VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&p Exam For Increase?

Rate this question

vistagirl81

Question

My husbands C&P exam is coming up very soon and he would like me to ask if there is anything he should or should not say about how he feels and what he is going through ? He just got out of the psyc ward per his Psychiatrists advice and it did not improve his situation. Any responses will be appreciated. He said that he just does not want to mess up. His exams are for PTSD with major depressive disorder and migraines. I think it is a C&P exam for his unemployability.Thank you in advance.

Thank you for your response. I will tell him to do just that. Sometimes he is afraid to tell people at the VA what he is feeling because he thinks they will lock him up again. I will be sure to tell him not to down play his issues. Sometimes he feels ashamed about how he feels and he gets mad at himself for not being able to control his thoughts and feelings.

I will tell you from my own personal experience...

Go into the C&P exam like it is a meeting - this is not a doctor's exam but rather an exam to see if your husband should be s/c and compensated. He needs to be honest and tell the truth and do not tell the examiner what he thinks they should/should not hear....

Before I went to my C&P exam I made sure I had submitted everything I could to prepare the examiner prior to our meeting. When my day came and I met with the examiner she told me that my paperwork was the most organized/detailed p/w she had ever had and in fact was better than the rater's p/w!!!

Bring anything and everything you might feel is imperative for your husband's claim. Tell him not to be afraid to ask any/all questions, speak up about something he doesn't understand, pause when he is going to discuss an emotional/painful memory, and that it is okay to be emotional.....

This is a very crucial piece of the puzzle for your husband's disability!

Again a lot of Veteran's think this is a medical exam but it isn't.....It's more of a "legal meeting" - the C&P examiner is there to fill in the missing pieces for the VA/Rater and you need to make sure they have all the pieces to the puzzle!

Hope all goes well!!!!

Thank you for your response. Everything has been submitted for 2 years. His last C&P examiner stated that he was unable to work, his social worker and psychiatrist both said that he was unable to work... He has not worked since 2008 and the reason they denied him was because they said that he went to school. I appealed it November 2012 and i picked a DRO. It was mentioned numerous times in his records that he only passed because i did his homework and i had to enroll in classes with him for him to even go. Hopefully things will be better this time around.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

VistaGirl,

When the doc or nurse asks how he is feeling, I recommend he NOT them he is "ok", "fine", or "well". The VA has been known to mistake courteousness for fact.