VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I'm Unsure What To Do?

Rate this question

coastie72

Question

I have two claims pending, one for depression secondary to tinnitus and another for PTSD (recurrent dreams nightmares).

I have seen a VA psychiatrist, twice, and answered questions that he asked , but that was a direct result of contact with the Veterans Crisis Line, as I have suicidal ideations and still do. We hardly spoke at all about my PTSD issues, though to me I feel it is all connected. I am still waiting and finally have an appointment with a social worker that is going to set up therapy.

In Ebenifits they are asking for more information for the PTSD claim. So I went to see my DAV SO to ask how to respond. My SO was not in, so I spoke with someone else that told me not to do anything?

Is he right? He said that I had a Fully Developed Claim and I should just ignore this;

We need specific details of the personal trauma incident(s) that resulted in post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). It is important that you read the following information and respond to our request within 30 days from the date of this letter. If you do not respond, VA may deny your claim.< br />< br />* Complete and return the enclosed questionnaire. We realize that this may be a difficult subject for you to discuss, but the information will be safeguarded and used only in support of your claim. If you are not able to provide the exact date of the incident, please indicate the location and approximate time (a 2-month specific date range) of the stressful event(s) in question.< br />* Give us reports of private physicians, if any, who have treated you for this condition since discharge. The reports should include clinical findings and diagnosis. If you have been treated for this condition at a VA medical facility, furnish the date(s) and place(s). We will obtain the report(s).< br />* If you have been treated in the Vet Center, tell us the dates of treatment and the address of the Vet Center. We will request the records.< br />(*) Identify any possible sources of information and evidence such as police reports or medical treatment records for assault or rape.< br />* Send us supporting statements from any individuals with whom you may have discussed the incident. Furnish copies of correspondence you may have sent to close friends or relatives in which you related information about the incident.< br />* If you did not discuss the incident with anyone, send us supporting statements from service persons, friends, family or clergy who may have observed any changes in your behavior as it may have related to the incident.

Date Requested: 11/08/2014
Due Date: 12/08/2014

The claim is in the Gathering of Evidence stage, so is he right or do I need to respond?

Coastie: STRESSORS????? In PTSD claims, they make the claim. Are they verified by your Military service record? Wife and buddy statements are OK and help, However stressors and their verifiability rule the day. If your records verify combat and or you were awarded a Heart or Bronze w/V they usually concede on combat stressors. It all comes down to what your claiming caused your PTSD symptoms. I think you can have just a fear of IED's as long as your record indicates possible exposure.

Semper Fi

Gastone

Coastie I submited my cliam three months ago and it just closed. I wrote a stressor letter explaining my stresses that and added the name of va personel that diagnosed my ptsd. I then told how it has effected my life since my stressors happened with evidence for everything I said to them. I only used vso to fax orginal cliam. If they want more send in more. I was also treated by civilian doctor for anxiety and depression I sent them a copy of my treatment also. Like what was said eariler dont rely on anybody to get your information you want them to see especially the c and p doc. Its hard to say what he/she will say.

Coastie I submited my cliam three months ago and it just closed. I wrote a stressor letter explaining my stresses that and added the name of va personel that diagnosed my ptsd. I then told how it has effected my life since my stressors happened with evidence for everything I said to them. I only used vso to fax orginal cliam. If they want more send in more. I was also treated by civilian doctor for anxiety and depression I sent them a copy of my treatment also. Like what was said eariler dont rely on anybody to get your information you want them to see especially the c and p doc. Its hard to say what he/she will say.

Here is a problem that I see. Up to this point my VA Psych Dr. has only evaluated me to have MDD. He states that patient meets the requirements of PTSD, but that would be evaluated in future Dr. visits. The deadline for information asked for is 12/08/14. I don't have a visit with my Psych Dr. until 12/10/14.

I am not a combat Vet, just a sick Vet. My recurrent dreams, nightmares are real and are STRESSORS to me! I've been having these dreams for over 40 years, day and night. They awake me at night and just come in flash memories in the day. My records put me right in the middle of the main one I am haunted by. Newspaper articles support the fact that my boat was there and the incident happened.

FDC or no FDC you either give the information they want, or expect to get denied. (They may still deny you even if they get the info)

As far as the conflict between the appointment dates, simply send them a letter explaing your appointment is 2 days after the date, and you feel the appointment is relevant. FDC is not careved in stone and the VA can take it out of FDC, and may well do so. You are gonna need 3 things, with pretty much very few exceptions:

1. A current diagnosis of PTSD. If a doc does not say you have PTSD, then, for VA puposes you do not and it will be denied. Check your records for a PTSD diagnosis. No current ptsd diagnosis, then no VA benefits for PTSD.

2. An inservice event or aggravation. There needs to be something they can point to that caused your PTSD in service.

3. A nexus, or link between the inservice event, and your current diagnosis of PTSD.

All this is just to get you service connected. If service connected, then they rate a percentage. No service connection , no percentage. If you look up the criteria for rating mental disorders, SI is ONLY in the 70% and 100% Categories. The lower ratings do not include suicidal ideations.

All of the above is true for depression or PTSD. They are rated using the same symptoms (criteria). To get SC for depression you have to have all 3 above, also. (Of course this assumes you have a diagnosis of Depression secondary to tinnitus.)

You can check your medical records.

Coastie I know it's difficult and very painful. I know how you feel. The va is going to take their time to diagnose you. Broncovet hit the nail on the head above. Take adeep breath and read what he said above. VA time is different especially when dealing with psychological problems. Maybe it would be best to withdraw cliam and concentrate on getting better. I know its painful and treatment will better help you deal with cliam process at later date. You can start a cliam on ebenifits and save the date. You just dont hit submit button, I know it sucks to withdraw a cliam but it would remove a great deal of anxiety from your current situation. Coastie I was diagnosed first then filed a cliam after treatment. I can't multitask period. I believe because of my ptsd. My wife gets mad at me because I refuse to start anything if I am working on a project. It dont matter how simple it is. I can't do two things at once. Maybe some of the more experienced folks here can also chime in. I would withdraw and work on me. I hope this helps coastie