VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I'm Unsure What To Do?

Rate this question

coastie72

Question

I have two claims pending, one for depression secondary to tinnitus and another for PTSD (recurrent dreams nightmares).

I have seen a VA psychiatrist, twice, and answered questions that he asked , but that was a direct result of contact with the Veterans Crisis Line, as I have suicidal ideations and still do. We hardly spoke at all about my PTSD issues, though to me I feel it is all connected. I am still waiting and finally have an appointment with a social worker that is going to set up therapy.

In Ebenifits they are asking for more information for the PTSD claim. So I went to see my DAV SO to ask how to respond. My SO was not in, so I spoke with someone else that told me not to do anything?

Is he right? He said that I had a Fully Developed Claim and I should just ignore this;

We need specific details of the personal trauma incident(s) that resulted in post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). It is important that you read the following information and respond to our request within 30 days from the date of this letter. If you do not respond, VA may deny your claim.< br />< br />* Complete and return the enclosed questionnaire. We realize that this may be a difficult subject for you to discuss, but the information will be safeguarded and used only in support of your claim. If you are not able to provide the exact date of the incident, please indicate the location and approximate time (a 2-month specific date range) of the stressful event(s) in question.< br />* Give us reports of private physicians, if any, who have treated you for this condition since discharge. The reports should include clinical findings and diagnosis. If you have been treated for this condition at a VA medical facility, furnish the date(s) and place(s). We will obtain the report(s).< br />* If you have been treated in the Vet Center, tell us the dates of treatment and the address of the Vet Center. We will request the records.< br />(*) Identify any possible sources of information and evidence such as police reports or medical treatment records for assault or rape.< br />* Send us supporting statements from any individuals with whom you may have discussed the incident. Furnish copies of correspondence you may have sent to close friends or relatives in which you related information about the incident.< br />* If you did not discuss the incident with anyone, send us supporting statements from service persons, friends, family or clergy who may have observed any changes in your behavior as it may have related to the incident.

Date Requested: 11/08/2014
Due Date: 12/08/2014

The claim is in the Gathering of Evidence stage, so is he right or do I need to respond?

Coastie: Don't sweat your VA Psychiatrist saying more time. Ya, his DX would help but it's the C&P Examiners decision that the VA Rater gives the most consideration to. Check out current VA PTSD Comp Exam rules. Unless things have drastically changed, your PTSD determination for the VA Mental Health Dept started with a PTSD questionnaire filled out at your Prim Cares office, then you were referred to VA Mental Health where a PTSD nurse completed another intake PTSD questionnaire, your scores on these determined if you were suffering symptoms that could be PTSD. After my 2nd PTSD Questionnaire, the PTSD Nurse asked me whether I wanted Group Therapy or A VA Psychiatrist. I chose group and it just so happened that my PTSD C&P from claim just recently filed was held within 3 months. Prior to C&P I had not been officially DX'd with PTSD.

About 8/09 I saw a private PTSD Psychologist who opined that he thought I had PTSD, but it would take about 12 months or 48 sessions to be able for him to make a DX. After 3 months I stopped going, $$ and interest. Just prior to seeing VA Prim Care early 2010, a VA Sleep Clinician told me he thought I had severe PTSD and to file a claim and get into VA Therapy. He said if anyone gave me grief to have them contact him directly. I did exactly what he advised and within 6 months had a 70% SC. Get your evidence in, have your C&P. If you got it, you'll get it, so go for it!

Semper Fi

Gastone

I am pressed for time and have not read all the posts here but need to make a point.

When PTSD is claimed, it means we are locked in to the PTSD regs.

If a doctor diagnoses a MH disability such as MDD,and not PTSD, but as directly due to an inservice stressor or incident ,which can be proven, the rating criteria is the same for all MH disabilities and the cash is the same amount.

Knapsack said:

"I think denial is difficult to overcome from what I have read in this forum."

I have been here for about 17 years.

PLENTY of us here have had denials overcome.

It all boils down to EVIDENCE.

and depending, not on any Vet rep, VSO, lawyer or doctor, but depending on ourselves to proactively

fight denied claims.

Coastie: Body alingnment, Sight Alingnment, Trigger Squeeze. Unless you were in the Corp, might mean nothing to you. If you've got all your Ducks and I's & T's squared away, you should be good to go. You qualify as an "Old Dog" age wise but it appears you may be "New Meat or a FNG" to the VA Claims fun and games. Looks like yoiu got 10% Tinnitus, probably SC at 0% for SC Hearing impairment, right. These (2) claims you mention are still in the initial rating stage, you haven't had a C & P on your PTSD yet? The old hope for the best, plan for the worst is good but don't go crazy worrying. Use your time wisely.

Get a copy of the VA PTSD DBQ and put your answers to the questions on it. Unless your an MD you mighrt have to research some of the terms. Then compare your self evaluation of the DBQ against the 38 CFR $ for rating PTSD. You may not even get close to what the final rating is but should be able to determine if your even in the ball park. Berta is right, you may claim PTSD but if you get DX'd with another SC Mental Health issue, the rater can still SC that condition and award accordingly. For now just get what ever evidence they ask for sent in US Mail Cert & Retn Rec ASAP. Then study up on the PTSD DBQ, BE Prepaired for the C & P.

Semper Fi

Gastone