VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd, Chronic, Severe

Rate this question

snake doctor

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

A request for reconsideration is nothing more than a reopened claim.  You must have new evidence to support the request.  You are essentially telling VA that you aren't disagreeing with the decision that was made based on the evidence VA had, but you want to submit some new evidence now that you think will change the decision.  Like I said, it's just a reopened claim and since reopened claim generally get processed faster than NODs you can usually get a decision faster, and any decision that is based on new evidence submitted within the one year appeal period of the claim in question preserves any potential earlier effective date.

The downside to requesting reconsideration instead of submitting a Notice of Disagreement is that if the decision isn't made within the one year appeal period you will have lost any chance to appeal the first decision if you don't get a favorable decision on the request for reconsideration. 
 a DRO review vs. a traditional approach to the NOD.  I almost always recommend the DRO review.

Edited by Buck52

I have been through process and now receive SSDI from SSA. You definitely need a lawyer. Just remember that almost 70% of initial claims are denied. Keep fighting to win and submit c&p exam. That could make the difference.

Sorry read wrong. Congratulations!

Edited by waccamawwild
wrong info

• HadIt.com Elder

you could use a nexus  letter  basicly same thing, when you request reconsideration you need new and material evidence.

I'l put one up nexus letter..just re-arrange it a little or  request a DRO Review

• HadIt.com Elder

Example of a Nexus Letter

DATE ____________ 

Reference: (Veteran's name) ____________ 

SS# ____________________         VA File #____________________ 

To Whom It May Concern, 

I am Dr. ____________. I am board certified to practice in my specialty. My credentials are included. I have been asked to write a statement in support of the afore mentioned veterans claim. 

I have personally reviewed his medical history. (Name the Documents) I have also reviewed and have noted the circumstances and events of his military service in the years ____________ (Event or Events claimed as the cause of the condition) while he served during his military service. (List dates of service) 

Mr. ___________ is a patient under my care since (enter Date). His diagnosis is _____________ (Name the Condition). 

I am familiar with his history and have examined Mr.____________ often while he has been under my care. (Specify Lab Work, X-rays, Etc.) 

Mr.____________ has no other known risk factors that may have precipitated his current condition. 

After a review of the pertinent records it is my professional opinion that it is at least as likely as not that Mr. ____________'s condition is a direct result of his(Event) as due to his military service. (Choose the degree of likelihood with which you can concur - "at least as likely as not", "more than likely", or "highly likely") 

In my personal experience and in the medical literature it is known (Give a rationale). 

Signed, 

Dr. ____________
(List credentials and contact information) 

Please understand that the VA often uses credentials to assign probative value to the nexus letter.
While the nexus letter must be brief as possible it should be as detailed and complete as the circumstances dictate.