VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dumb Question?

Rate this question

Billyboy

Question

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder
Once you have started you SSI, is there any way to apply for SSI Disability. Told you it was dumb, but I don’t know. bill

Usually it's a dual application. SSI is income based (like welfare), SSDI is based on work credits. But yes, you can.

pr

• HadIt.com Elder
Once you have started you SSI, is there any way to apply for SSI Disability. Told you it was dumb, but I don't know. bill

Bill, can you call Social Security Office and ask the same thing? The social security office told me I had to apply for SSI first, then I could apply for SSDI. Now I am applying through the VA. See the pattern? Good luck, cg

• HadIt.com Elder
Bill, can you call Social Security Office and ask the same thing? The social security office told me I had to apply for SSI first, then I could apply for SSDI. Now I am applying through the VA. See the pattern? Good luck, cg

Are you sure you didn't misunderstand? Usually applicants apply for Social Security Disability Income/Insurance (SSDI) and SS suggests they apply for Supplimental Security Income (SSI) at the same time.

pr

Once you have started you SSI, is there any way to apply for SSI Disability. Told you it was dumb, but I don’t know. bill

billy ,, when i applied for my ssd they being ss told me three times plus with a letter

that i did not qualify for ssi. I draw a military retirement check, too much encome

for ssi, to get ssi 604 per month in ky, zero income, so they start doing ssd, which

came thru for me in about 5 months, zero back back if approved uder 5 months.

good luck///bigjim

• HadIt.com Elder
billy ,, when i applied for my ssd they being ss told me three times plus with a letter

that i did not qualify for ssi. I draw a military retirement check, too much encome

for ssi, to get ssi 604 per month in ky, zero income, so they start doing ssd, which

came thru for me in about 5 months, zero back back if approved uder 5 months.

good luck///bigjim

Well, actually they hold your first 5 months payments of your disability to supposedly give them time to make sure that you didn't get the SSI, because, if you did, you are going to get to pay them back. Of course, what they would do is deduct your SSI from your first SS disability check.

I suppose if you didn't apply for SSI when you applied for your Social Security Disability, then you'd get your first check sooner ( but, I wouldn't bet on it ).