Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Email To Allison Hickey

Rate this topic

CKHodges

At this point, I think I am going to have to email her.  Every other option I can come up with ends violently.  This morning, my claim was to be decided 09/15-10/15, finally getting close, within 60 days and not a minute too late!  Tonight, it shifted out again.  Went back to review of evidence for the third time from prep for decision where it normally languishes, I'm sure it's not a Hardship anymore since my bankruptcy discharged (LOL, but sadly most likely true, FML), and every time I call to try and get any info or any updates they try and send me to the 'other' 800 # because I "sound distressed".  REALLY?!?!?  Quit f'ing with my life then!  Now my dates are 12/30/2015 - 02/24/2016.  They just slowly, ever so slowly (...just the tip...), push the date back, this is the 5th or 6th time in the year I have waited since retiring from AD.  I am going to lose my house AFTER reaffirming it 2 weeks ago as the only thing I salvaged from my life before this sh!t.  My family would be better served if I went out and drove off a f'ing cliff.  This is unbelievable!  They don't want to help until my entire life is destroyed.  I have nothing left...

Edited by TALON II FE

Talon, there are Many  of us hardcore VA claimants here who put up with the same kind of crap from the VA.One of the lowest moments of my life was when I got a C & P report  in a SSOC in 1996. It was devastating and of course the veteran could not speak for himself, because he was dead.

But I recovered from that moment, called the C & P doc up (his name was in the SSOC )and asked him how could he dare to try to impinge on the integrity of my husband in his false and slanderous statement in the C & P exam.

Guess what...VA had manipulated his actual C & P exam and also withheld the veteran's autopsy from him. When he realized that he too was furious and told me his entire opinion would have changed if he had known of the autopsy.

He sent me the actual C & P and it was nothing like what they manipulated in the C & P.Long story, that claim was awarded about a year later.....but that day haunts me because I just wanted to die when I read the SSOC.

VA should be accountable for the additional grief and suffering they put you veterans through.

By all means write to Ms. Hickey   allison.hickey@va.gov

I call her MS Hickey or Allison in my emaqils to her ,as we have had countless emails back and forth since February , all geared to the impossible dream...that someone at my RO who is literate  and can do simple math, will resolve my issues.

She is very user friendly....dont hesitate to email her. I heard from her via VACO yesterday.

• HadIt.com Elder

I give them the respect they give me!   I don't care if they call me Mr. Citizen King.   Just pay my claims.  I was at  the VAMC yesterday and I stood in front of a clerk for five minutes while he chatted on the phone and ignored me.  I don't get treated like that any place else but the VA.  Maybe the DMV come to think of it.

John

Talon,

First, this is the right place to voice your feelings. We have all been there. I have experienced bankruptcy as a result of physical disability, the stress that comes from watching my wife deal with my crap, how she can't work so she can take care of me, etc. I'm not minimizing your feelings, but I want you to know that if you need to talk, I'm here.

Second, I think sending an email is completely appropriate at this point. However, please let someone else read and edit the email before you send it. It's easy to get emotional, but this isn't about emotions - this is about you not getting the consideration and support you need to get back to some sort of normal life. So, write an email and have a friend (or me) read and edit before you send it. Remember, we're on YOUR side.

Third, I won't insult you by reminding you that things move back and forth between stages and that estimated dates provided are system-generated based on hard coded expected completion times. They are a wag at best and a joke for most. Just remember we want to help you and many here take pride in supporting one another. So, draft your frustrations and let someone here help you craft an email. Take control and remember: you are not a victim or a charity case. You are trying to get the benefits you have earned.

Please let me know if I can help you in any way. Others with more experience may chime in as well.

Talon,

Just be aware that emailing her may not do much for you.  I can empathize with all of your feelings.  It took 9 years for them to even grant that I had a service connected disability when I was medically discharged.  And I have been fighting them the entire way.  I've dealt with lost claim files. VSOs submitting incorrect paperwork.  C&P docs that either transcribed the notes for the wrong patient, or were blatantly unqualified to be evaluating me for what I was claiming.    It has been almost 5 years since I filed my last NOD, and over 3 since I filed for a BVA hearing.  After reading the "successes" of some from emailing Ms. Hickey I had no such luck in getting my claim kicked in the ass, nor did they address what I actually wrote about.  Which was just to ensure they were working the appropriate things that I claimed.  I never claimed an increase for my current SC disability, and I was recently evaluated by C&P specifically for an increase.

At any rate here is the canned response I received from emailing Ms. Hickey:

"Thank you for contacting the Under Secretary for Benefits. Allison truly cares about answering your email. She is reading them, but has asked her claims team to help respond.

You asked about the status of your appeal. The *** Regional Office is actively working on your appeal - as you noted in your e-mail, you recently underwent a VA examination in conjunction with that appeal. Not every condition which is claimed or on appeal will require a VA examination. The decision on whether to schedule an examination is based on what the medical evidence (including your service treatment records) shows as well as VA regulations.

In your e-mail, you described the many areas in which you disagree with the September 2010 rating decision which granted some benefits, but denied others. That is exactly what the appeals process is for - that process involves the Regional Office taking another look at the issues and the evidence. If they cannot grant all the benefits sought on appeal, the appeals process may then proceed to the Board of Veterans Appeals (BVA) and beyond.

Please know that the appeals backlog is large. Regional Offices are working those appeals based on the date they were received. I apologize for the long wait which I know can be frustrating. The Under Secretary has requested additional resources from Congress to help VA work appeals more quickly.

An appeal may be expedited for a veteran who is terminally ill, homeless or otherwise experiencing very serious hardship. To request that the appeal be expedited based on such circumstances, submit that request in writing with documentation of the hardship. You may submit it via:

·         uploading it to eBenefits (for more information, see https://www.ebenefits.va.gov)

·         faxing to our Evidence Intake Center at (844) 531-7818

·         mailing to Evidence Intake Center at –

Department Of Veterans Affairs

Evidence Intake Center

PO Box 4444

Newnan, GA 30271-0020

I hope that this information on your appeal is helpful. I encourage you to communicate directly with your Regional Office via the Evidence Intake Center fax number and address shown above. That is the quickest and most efficient way to submit evidence and your statements to the people who are working on your case.

Best Regards,"

So as you can see it is your run of the mill exact response you get from the 800 line.  Hopefully you have better luck than I did with your email.  But if not don't give up, and don't take any anger out about it in a violent manner.  Just reach out to someone and talk your way through it.  Have faith that eventually they will get it right. 

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use