Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Filing For Ss With Ptsd

Rate this question

sdvet33

Question

I was diagnosed by VA with PTSD, MDD and all the other related symptoms in 2012. FIled my claim in 2012. It's going on 3 years my claim is being worked on with no end in sight. I have a few years of weekly treatment records from v.a facilities.

I was told i should file for SS disability. Wondering about this Social Security Disability stuff. I know theres different type i.e SSI, SSDI, adn so forth but i'm kind of confused of what i'm should file for. I'm 33, went in when i was 18 got out at about 30 yrs old and haven't worked since then so i haven't paid into social securtiy much. I haven't worked in about 3 years because of my disability. WHat kind of S.S should i apply for? Should i wait until my Service connection is done first. I think it might be a long time. FIled my claim in 2012 and did my c and p in 2013 and they lost it and still hasnt been found so i think it might be a long time. I'm thinking i should file for some type of S.S now but don't know what type and if it's even a good idea to do it without a service connection rating yet. I have plenty of V.A medical records with diagnosis to show.

Any info would be appreciated. Sorry for being so unorganized with the writing. I'm just confused and got so many questions that keep on popping in my head.

thank you in advance

The SSDI (Social Security Disability Insurance) is based upon your number of work credits, I don't know the number needed. Apply anyway and tell them you're a wounded warrior so they can expedite. SSI is the supplemental income but I don't know how that works either. As far as your VA claim, with what you said I would bring that to the manager or directior's attention of the VARO doing your claim. That's ridiculous to have to wait while you suffer because they lost something and I personally don't put up with stuff like that. Good luck.

Edited by bionoce

I don't even know how to contact the VARO doing my claim. I can't get find any numbers to them and they never reply to any written requests i send them. My file is in L.A. I wish i had a way to get there, or not i probably would end up getting in trouble confronting the people that have neglected my claim. I've sent so many documents to them and never get a response. I did email 'Bob" yesterday so hopefully i get a response.

• HadIt.com Elder

Depending on your current income level, I would file for both Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) and Supplemental Security Income (SSI). SSDI is based on what you've paid in. If you were in the military for 10-11yrs, you should have received credit paid to SS for those yrs. SSI is like welfare and is paid to those who are disabled but don't meet the paid-in SSDI criteria. SSI is in the $700+ monthly range and is offset by any other income you may have, such as food stamps, heating assistance, etc..

You should file today, if not sooner. You should use the day after your discharge as your date of "disability onset." You are better off applying now, rather than waiting for the VA to approve your claim.

jmo

pr

You should easily be able to file for SSDI bud, but make sure you do it soon, cause once you hit the 5 year mark without working, then you will not qualify for SSDI. I was Medically retired from the Navy at 30, I was approved for SSDI at 31 and now I am 32, so yes it is possible. As stated above, make sure you filed the SSDI claim online, as I did, just make sure you have all your DRs, treatment centers, and Meds next to you, so you can fill out claim completely. God Bless and good luck