VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Laparoscopic Fundoplication

Rate this question

ArNG11

Question

Has anyone tried this aggressive treatment for GERD?

Oddly I am 40. I guess drinking the Ensure qualifies me as old :blink:

ArNG11,

I am happy to hear your surgery went well. I don't know if you needed it, but you will probably experience a reduction in your weight. Please keep us posted on your progress.

I had UPPP surgery (sleep apnea surgery) yesterday morning and came home today. Like you, I am currently using a spirometer because I have a sore throat but mine was caused from the removal of my uvula (little hangy down part on the upper palate) and removal of the soft tissue on the backside of my top palate. I also had nasal turbinate reduction surgery at the same time. These two surgeries were to increase the openings in my airways in an effort to reduce the seriousness of my sleep apnea.

I hope you and I both have a quick recovery.

You know I think it was John99 that had the sleep apnea surgery I am not sure though I have to look at prior posts

From what I have read there are a few surgeries that can help with this. Some involve the removal of the adenoids, modifying the plate structure and so type of other reconstructive type modifications.

Edited by ArNG11

John recently had a procedure called the "Inspire System." This is the latest and most advanced sleep apnea surgery. It involves implanting a device in your chest about the same size as a pacemaker and lead wires are run up to your airways. You have a remote control which allows you to turn on the device at bedtime and it keeps your airways open while you are sleeping and you turn off the device with your remote control when you awaken. John can explain the Inspire System a lot better than I can.

I went to my ENT surgeon seeking to have the Inspire System procedure. He did an updated sleep study on me, conducted airway tests in his office and told me I would not qualify for the Inspire System at the present time because of the narrowing in my airways and my BMI exceeded 32. He said if I had the UPPP surgery and lost a little weight, I would probably be able to have the Inspire System procedure. If things work out as planned, I hope to have the Inspire System procedure later this year. Anyone seriously interested in this new procedure should contact John 999 on Hadit.

ArNG11,

I am happy to hear your surgery went well. I don't know if you needed it, but you will probably experience a reduction in your weight. Please keep us posted on your progress.

I had UPPP surgery (sleep apnea surgery) yesterday morning and came home today. Like you, I am currently using a spirometer because I have a sore throat but mine was caused from the removal of my uvula (little hangy down part on the upper palate) and removal of the soft tissue on the backside of my top palate. I also had nasal turbinate reduction surgery at the same time. These two surgeries were to increase the openings in my airways in an effort to reduce the seriousness of my sleep apnea.

I hope you and I both have a quick recovery.

I should have answered this as well but I didn't catch it. The reduction in weight would be grand. I am obese no doubt about it. Not being able to jog or run kind of puts a damper on that process, but I still try to walk as much as I can. That's the most strenuous exercise my docs recommend, walking. It's difficult to get around right now, but it will get better. The Spyrometer is a pain but it does help. Then the meds, but they leave me feeling loopy all day and I dislike that. I hope this takes care of the GERD, but only time will tell. I am still on the nexium and will be taken off it gradually.

It's a weird feeling though. I haven't eaten much and I am still bloated from the gas they pumped into my stomach cavity. Feel like I ate a 7 course meal and all I ate today was a yogurt and a cup of soup. The breathing is just as much of a pain as the movement. Deep breaths are painful. But I will say this, I haven't had the fire feeling in my throat. That is a plus. Im sure this procedure will kind of kill my GERD rating but heh no more fiery throat. They also repaired a hiatal hernia. Sad thing is I know that I should have had a 30% rating at least for my GERD, I'm sure that this procedure will effect that rating, although all I am at is at 0% for it. It will be interesting to see how this pans out. I imagine this is going to complicate things but heh it makes the battle interesting.

I can stand to lose some weight as well so maybe we will be both shed a few pounds. Still experiencing some pain and discomfort but not as bad as I thought it would be. The pain meds are helping but I notice it when I am late taking a dose.

You will probably forget about the rating for your GERD if your procedure gives you the relief you need and completely eliminates the need for GERD medication.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Take care.