VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Spouse Benefits After Veteran Hubby Passes?

Rate this question

Buck52

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Does Anybody know what all the benefits for a widow that her hubby died from his SC Disability's Are?

besides the DIC Claims?

what claims numbers ect,,ect,,?

Note ''there kids are all grown''.she lives alone now.

He was Vietnam combat veteran & 100% P & T with SMC & Housebound, What all can his widow file for?

Thanks in Advance.

Edited by Buck52

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

• HadIt.com Elder

I just checked the 12/1/2014 rates (http://benefits.va.gov/Compensation/current_rates_dic.asp) and DIC is now $1254.19, with $266.32, for that 8yrs prior to death thing, for a grand total of $1520.51,monthly.

Buck - even if they were divorced she may still qualify, especially if she lived w/him in the end.

Personally, I don't think the VA should pay more to the spouse. The veteran served, not the spouse and in many cases the spouses didn't marry the veteran until after the vet served. If they wanted to provide more for their spouse they should've purchased more life insurance. jmo

pr

• HadIt.com Elder

I agree with ya georgiapapa, I wish they would double everything like the veteran's compensation and all. mostly what I'd love to see is better Health Care for the Veterans.

I am glad the spouse's get something especially if she didn't work and taking care of her disable husband...they were luckly to have there home/land paid for but there's other Bills it takes to live utilly's for one and food the other and clothes/medical ect,,ect,,

I would hope my spouse gets help from the VA when I die...if I die first! Insurance $$ don't last!

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

PR,

You and I will have to agree to disagree.

In regards to your comment about spouses not serving, you might get an earful from the spouse of a veteran who is deployed overseas for several months at a time. Although they didn't officially serve, they were unofficially a big part of the military family and often endured hardship as a result of their spouse's military service.

In my opinion, the spouse of a seriously disabled veteran saves the VA thousands of dollars each year in caregiver costs. If the veteran didn't have a spouse to take care of them, he or she would probably be in a VA nursing or VA healthcare facility. Apparently, the VA thinks some veteran spouses should be compensated for their caregiver duties since they implemented the Caregiver Program for post 9/11 veterans.

Also, many veteran spouses develop their own physical and mental health conditions taking care of their service connected spouses for many years. This probably shortens their lifespan and also impacts them financially for the copays not paid by Champva. One could argue that to a certain degree the health conditions suffered by the spouses are secondary to the service connected conditions of the veteran.

I stand by my opinion.

• HadIt.com Elder

The present 100% disabled SC rate is about $3000 a month (round number) . $1500 is about 1/2. Although both are inadequate, that make some sense, I suppose.

BUT, the $3000 is supposed to compensate for lost income(wages). According to the govt's own figures, the average income lost is well above $50,000 a year.

No way does $36,000 compensate for $50,000. When you add in SSA retirement, most veterans will still fall short of the average income, let alone

begin to equal lost income. Don't forget the Medicare monthly premium at about $104 that is needed due to the poor state of VA medical care, and

a requirement to pay it even for a 100% disabled veteran entitled to VA care. Many of the doctors in my area will not deal with Champus, due to poor

payment practices and history, even those that take Medicare. (And I live in an area that has a high military related population.)

• HadIt.com Elder

PR,

You and I will have to agree to disagree.

In regards to your comment about spouses not serving, you might get an earful from the spouse of a veteran who is deployed overseas for several months at a time. Although they didn't officially serve, they were unofficially a big part of the military family and often endured hardship as a result of their spouse's military service.

In my opinion, the spouse of a seriously disabled veteran saves the VA thousands of dollars each year in caregiver costs. If the veteran didn't have a spouse to take care of them, he or she would probably be in a VA nursing or VA healthcare facility. Apparently, the VA thinks some veteran spouses should be compensated for their caregiver duties since they implemented the Caregiver Program for post 9/11 veterans.

Also, many veteran spouses develop their own physical and mental health conditions taking care of their service connected spouses for many years. This probably shortens their lifespan and also impacts them financially for the copays not paid by Champva. One could argue that to a certain degree the health conditions suffered by the spouses are secondary to the service connected conditions of the veteran.

I stand by my opinion.

GP - I certainly understand your feelings. I was also against retirees receiving both retirement and VA disability Comp. Once they changed the law allowing it, I was fine w/it. I'd like to see the caregiver program expanded, to all veterans, as it should have been. It's just the VA pitting one group of vets against another. jmo

pr

PR

I respect your opinions and I agree with you 99% of the time. I totally agree with you about the VA pitting one group of vets against another. We should all be treated the same.

GP