VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What About School?

Rate this question

Mikemmlj

Question

A lot of people who are 100% write about working with 100% service connection but I'm interested in going to school in case I have a future reduction. How does going to school affect your disability compensation?

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

After one single semester of Voc Rehab, and some part time job at the VA for a few months, the VA tried to reduce my husband's comp ( 30% then) to 10%.

It was more due to the VA job I think than Voc rehab but they used his one semester of college against him and said this crap VA job (he got it only because we threatened to file an EEOC case because they hired a relative for a full time position OPM said he was qualified for but he never even got an interview) was substantial employment.

BS to that. My husband was a former Nuke, and PHVAC operator. The VA job was way below his pay scale and ability.

When I pointed out to VA in the NOD his background as compared to this VA PT "appeasement "position, giving them the director's phone number to verify what I had stated ( he signed the NOD but I signed as witness to the Director meeting)and Istated right in the NOD that one does not become a rocket scientist with one semester of college, they dropped their idea to lower his comp.

Within months.

I get nervous ever since that happened to him whenever I see any vet with 100% or TDIU attempting to go through Voc Rehab.

And worse yet, even if not rated that high, if they do get hired by the VA.

The union secretary told him this would happen and he really didn't think VA would propose a reduction.But they did after he had only a few months on the VA job.and one semester of Voc Rehab.

I dont think it is really worth taking that chance Mike. If you mean Voc Rehab.

However, Corning college did give him some accomodations for his PTSD and the only reason he could not continue Voc rehab after a few years, is because VA caused him to have a 1151/FTCA totally and permanently disabling stroke.

• HadIt.com Elder

Mike

I am not sure you can get education allowance or not? being 100%? check with the school counsler and see?

I just paid mine out of pocket but before I was SC Compensation years ago I did get VA $$ allowance an attended a community college for an associate degree.

recheck your benefits?

• HadIt.com Elder

If you want to further your education please do so it could very well help you out some day!

seek out your benefits buddy, I am not sure what effect it would have on what the VA is paying you if any? but like PR mention you may be able to keep what the VA is paying you along with your SSDI and still receive educational allowance from the VA.

Don't hurt to ask call the 800 number ask about your VA Benefits and let them know you want to start back to school & what effect will that have on you if you do ect,,ect,,