Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Secondary Condition; Can I?

Rate this question

propp3

Question

I am rated 20% for my back condition...over 20 years now. Originally, my rating was 10% for muscular low back pain but having 2 back injuries in-service, an L3 fx, spondololothesis at L5/S1 documented, I appealed. The VA then increased my rating to 20% after the BVA appeal, and labeled it IVDS/intervertebral disc syndrome, at L5/S1 with degenerative changes. That was 1995. They never found the old L3 fx, but there was also evidence of a T12 compression fx on film, as early as my first C&P exam, Jan 1992...less than 60 days after I'd been discharged after 8 1/2 years active duty.

Later, the old L3 fx showed on film, as well as an L2 crush fx,(1997 & 1999). Then, a T11 compression fx(as well as the older T12) showed up on and MRI(2001). In 2014 I had films and another MRI at my own insistence(the VAMC said there was no need) which pretty much shows all of the above, plus new compression fx's L3, L1, T6, and facet hypertrophy and the start of foraminal stenosis at L4/L5, and L5/S1. I've also had sciatica in my left leg for near 20 years.

I asked that my rating be increased, filing in July, and got a new C&P exam in oct 2014. In Jan, 2015 I rec'd a letter denying an increase. The statement of the case now labels my condition as degenerative disc disease, L5-S1, lumbar spine, with radiculopathy left lower extremity, as 20% disabling...continued(but no increased rating). I've never been rated for the radiculopathy, the sciatica, etc...that was the point of asking for the increase...the sciatica, the new findings over the years showing all the new compression fx's, etc.

I composed a reply/argument and some additional evidence asking for BOTH, a reconsideration of their decision AND a BVA appeal. I asked(using the duty to assist) for the VA to obtain all my previous films(even those taken in-service) and send to the local VAMC, and for a comprehensive comparison study to fully document the changes over the past 20+ years: body loss height, demineralization, etc.

Am I going about this wrong???

Should I be seeking a new claim, set of claims, etc?

I mean, should I be trying to open a new claim for sciatica...DJD of the lumbar spine....DJD of the thoracic spine(because of all those new compression fx's) ? I know the VA treats the thoro-lumbar spine as 1 segment for measuring using the general formula for rating ROM.

BUT, I've always been rated by the VA for the changes/disability at L5-S1...the lumbo-sacral spine(and the lumbo-sacral articulate).

The 38CFR calls the LS spine a 'minor joint' for ratings purposes. But in other parts(The Joints) it also calls both the Lumbar and Thoracic spine/s 'minor joints, treated as major joint'...presumably for rating under arthritis, degenerative or traumatic.

I've got clear cut x-ray/imaging showing: L5/S1 changes(for which I'm rated)...AND...degenerative/arthritic changes and compression fx's in both the lumbar, and thoracic spine.

Advice? Would the VA call any new claim an attempt to pyramid? How would I show DISTINCT manifestations of each, as a separate disability...especially since the general formula treats the entire thoro-lumbar spine as one segment in measuring range of motion?

I asked my rep at the DAV but he doesn't seem to understand what I'm asking...

Thanks John!

I'm still waiting on my initial claim to come back.  It's been at "Preparation for Decision" for nearly 3 months now.

I am able to work, but needed to retire from Service because I couldn't take it anymore physically.  I was fortunate enough to find a work-from-home job, so I'm able to get up whenever I need to, stretch my back out on a Swiss Ball, take breaks when I'm hurting too much, etc..

I'm hoping to get 100%, SC, but do not want to seek IU because I want to be able to keep working at home and not worry about it.

Punisher,

I am with you on that thought.  I'm not looking for IU rather just to be fairly rated and compensated for the issues I do have.  I was recently asked "why now after 15 years, are you seeking increases and new claims?"  Because all those years I never thought I could. And the VA made sure I didn't know what I was missing.

I don't have the luxury of looking for a non-physical job.  Ironically enough, I'm a Federal Government employee. I need every cent of my total benefit/salary package to support my family. As for pay the most I ever grossed was 50Gs, literally! I was 50.00 over the fifty grand mark. Had a lot of overtime that year. Then came the furlough of 2013.  Totally drained my meager savings covering the lost hours.  Still trying to come back from that.

But now my body is betraying me, it's getting so much harder to do the normal physical things. Mowing the lawn, washing cars,  worst of all...playing with my kids...can't do that for very long anymore.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Tell a friend

Love HadIt.com’s VA Disability Community Vets helping Vets since 1997? Tell a friend!
  • Recent Achievements

• RICHKAY earned a badge
      One Month Later
    • pacmanx1 earned a badge
      Great Content
    • czqiang1079 earned a badge
      First Post
    • Vicdamon12 earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • Panther8151 earned a badge
      One Year In
  • Our picks

• Caluza Triangle defines what is necessary for service connection
      Caluza Triangle – Caluza vs Brown defined what is necessary for service connection. See COVA– CALUZA V. BROWN–TOTAL RECALL

This has to be MEDICALLY Documented in your records:

Current Diagnosis.   (No diagnosis, no Service Connection.)

In-Service Event or Aggravation.
      Nexus (link- cause and effect- connection) or Doctor’s Statement close to: “The Veteran’s (current diagnosis) is at least as likely due to x Event in military service”
      • 0 replies
    • Do the sct codes help or hurt my disability rating 
    • VA has gotten away with (mis) interpreting their  ambigious, , vague regulations, then enforcing them willy nilly never in Veterans favor.  

They justify all this to congress by calling themselves a "pro claimant Veteran friendly organization" who grants the benefit of the doubt to Veterans.  

This is not true, 

Proof:  

About 80-90 percent of Veterans are initially denied by VA, pushing us into a massive backlog of appeals, or worse, sending impoverished Veterans "to the homeless streets" because  when they cant work, they can not keep their home.  I was one of those Veterans who they denied for a bogus reason:  "Its been too long since military service".  This is bogus because its not one of the criteria for service connection, but simply made up by VA.  And, I was a homeless Vet, albeit a short time,  mostly due to the kindness of strangers and friends. 

Hadit would not be necessary if, indeed, VA gave Veterans the benefit of the doubt, and processed our claims efficiently and paid us promptly.  The VA is broken. 

A huge percentage (nearly 100 percent) of Veterans who do get 100 percent, do so only after lengthy appeals.  I have answered questions for thousands of Veterans, and can only name ONE person who got their benefits correct on the first Regional Office decision.  All of the rest of us pretty much had lengthy frustrating appeals, mostly having to appeal multiple multiple times like I did. 

I wish I know how VA gets away with lying to congress about how "VA is a claimant friendly system, where the Veteran is given the benefit of the doubt".   Then how come so many Veterans are homeless, and how come 22 Veterans take their life each day?  Va likes to blame the Veterans, not their system.   
    • Welcome to hadit!  

There are certain rules about community care reimbursement, and I have no idea if you met them or not.  Try reading this:

https://www.va.gov/resources/getting-emergency-care-at-non-va-facilities/

However, (and I have no idea of knowing whether or not you would likely succeed) Im unsure of why you seem to be so adamant against getting an increase in disability compensation.  

When I buy stuff, say at Kroger, or pay bills, I have never had anyone say, "Wait!  Is this money from disability compensation, or did you earn it working at a regular job?"  Not once.  Thus, if you did get an increase, likely you would have no trouble paying this with the increase compensation.  

However, there are many false rumors out there that suggest if you apply for an increase, the VA will reduce your benefits instead.  

That rumor is false but I do hear people tell Veterans that a lot.  There are strict rules VA has to reduce you and, NOT ONE of those rules have anything to do with applying for an increase.  

Yes, the VA can reduce your benefits, but generally only when your condition has "actually improved" under ordinary conditions of life.  

Unless you contacted the VA within 72 hours of your medical treatment, you may not be eligible for reimbursement, or at least that is how I read the link, I posted above. Here are SOME of the rules the VA must comply with in order to reduce your compensation benefits:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/38/3.344

• Good question.   

Maybe I can clear it up.  

The spouse is eligible for DIC if you die of a SC condition OR any condition if you are P and T for 10 years or more.  (my paraphrase).  

More here:

Source:

https://www.va.gov/disability/dependency-indemnity-compensation/

NOTE:   TO PROVE CAUSE OF DEATH WILL LIKELY REQUIRE AN AUTOPSY.  This means if you die of a SC condtion, your spouse would need to do an autopsy to prove cause of death to be from a SC condtiond.    If you were P and T for 10 full years, then the cause of death may not matter so much. 

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use