VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Delete

Rate this question

Guest rickb54

Question

• Answers 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

In order to change things and get some help for vets we probably need to take over the established veteran organizations like the DAV. How to do this means going to meetings and taking on the responsibility of taking control of these organizations. My local DAV looks like a crypt. The local VVA is OK but a 25 mile drive, but this is the thing that has to be done. We can't do it as a political party or as individuals. Many of us are not physically able to do this but what options are there besides becoming our own lobby group? As long as they exist the VSO's will be the 800 pound gorillas on the block for vets. The DAV has one million members.

Pete, we would be more inclined to start a new Veterans group using the experiences that we have in

dealing with the VA. That could be done.

• HadIt.com Elder

Istacy

If concerned vets could get to the leardership positions of the DAV and change it from some kind of good old boy frat party to an organization with its main thrust to train and educate service officers we would have a good thing. Both the Al and VFW have the organization but they are ruled by members who just don't get it. The AL's political viewpoint is rightwing and their ideas probably don't appeal to most younger vets at all. I get the Al's and VFW's magazines and some of their stories sound like the republican party and Karl Rove in action. They don't understand that they are pre-historic. This is the leadership that thinks all vets want is a drink in one hand and a smoke in the other. Nobody wants to hear war stories when they can't work or get decent health care. Do we have to reinvent the wheel?

John,Your absolutely correct, However, It would be nearly impossible to break the ties that the DAV has with its internal political system or buddy system for the officials are elected. I think it is time to spread the word. We can start with their success rate. I have used 2 organizations and I completely have lost my backside because of their incompetence. I am only glad I proved CUE to the VA or It would have been a disaster.

I blame myself. I should have went to college. I should have moved to Canada. I should have become Rich so I could be flying around the world drinking fine wine - but i didn't. hahahahahaha come on guys. no one is to blame. Abuse of the VA system was around in 1950 and it is still around today. There is no one war group, no one age group or no one anything. If you served then you are a veteran. If you are disabled because of that service then you are a disabled veteran. jmho

P.S. i do really wish I had become rich hahahahahaha

Ricky