VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

First Appointment

Rate this question

WVSERVER

Question

Had my first appointment with a voc rehab councilor last week I think it went pretty well. I was told that even thought I am currently working that I am eligible for the program and show severe employment handicaps. I am looking to go back to school and get a psychology or social work degree. Now for the down side I was told that I was being place into an extended evaluation period because the councilor has concerns that It may not be medically feasible for me to go back to school due to my mental illness.

I am really hoping to get this approved because I am in a jam I have a family and struggle thru working so I can keep medical insurance for them. I am close to being without a job quite often because I have a lot of call offs, I am scheduled for 32 hours a week here lately I have been making 25-28 hours a week. It has been an eight year adventure of digression. I have held the rank of Sgt. but have been demoted to officer were I have been for the last 4 years. My job requires me to be armed and maintain a clearance with the Government those requirements do not go hand and hand with my mental illness, if they ever found out I would be out a job. I often over react to people even when I am trying not to. plus I am just dog tired and have poor concentration and even forget my direction of travel at times.

So I am wanting to brain storm ahead of time in case I get denied due to it not being feasible for me to return to school. I work so I think IU is out of the question, I am trying not to get my hopes up but the thoughts of getting to participate in Voc Rehab is like seeing some light at the end of the tunnel. Anyone out there have any I ideas on what I should due if they find me not ready to attend school.

Edited by WVSERVER

• HadIt.com Elder

Hello WVSERVER,

If your PTSD or MH Problems keep you from working and your Voc-Rehab officer/counselor says your not feasible to return to school and states his opinion or to retrain this veteran, because of your SC Disability's why not file claim for TDIU & ask for P&T If your disability warrants it? That's good evidence!

you get great benefits for you and your family bud!

Thank you For You Service!

Buck!

Buck52 thank you for your comments and kind words. I don't know enough about P&T or TDIU but since I work even thou it's a great struggle I thought that that would take both off the table.

VA will not consider a TDIU application if you are working and making over the poverty level in wages.

You can also apply for SSDI,when you are no longer employed.

I was a psychology major years before I switched my credits to American Military University.

College is HARD work.

I commend you for trying to do so much, but it is a real dilemma when a veteran knows they are trying to hold onto to working, when they probably should be getting TDIU instead, by not working.

There is info here somewhere on what VA considers substantial employment.

I believe it relies on wages that are at or lower than the Poverty level.

How many credit hours are you planning on taking?

Is it an on- line college or campus college?

I went to both and I found that on line courses were far more difficult than traditional college courses.

Then again I was a civilian in a war school,on line and I was the only civilian enrolled at the time.

I didnt have the misery of finding campus parking spots, after a long ride to my other school years ago.

But on line at AMU I often had to get my exams proctored by a local librarian (and all of the libraries around here are many miles away.)

AMU required an initial enrollment course based on use of computer and I immediately had to get my PC upgraded for that.

A traditional campus has the benefit of interaction wioth the classmates and some socialization.

Actually we had a little of that at AMU as well, some assignments done online with other students, much like this forum here, and we also had a coffee klatch on line. But no one was ever there.same time I was and no hyperspace coffee available.

GOOD LUCK with whatever you intend to do.

Berta I plan on going fulltime on campus as there is a major state run college with in 45 min of my house. I have been considering social work, phycology, outdoor rec and leisure with a concentration in therapeutic recreation or repertory therapist as you can tell I am still in the research phase. I haven't been very successful going on line. I already have a degree in criminal justice but should no long work in Law Enforcement due to my sc condition and physiologist stating that work is a stressor for me.. I am not exactly sure what I am going to do as I made 38,000 last year I have three kids and a wife that count on me to provide. My wife and I just hit the 15 year mark and I have always worked and made sure they had insurance. The good news is if they do approve me I have followed your advice and got my finical affairs in order with my back pays and would be able to live comfortable on the school stipend and my compensation. I do believe that I would be able to apply for state health and dental for my children. Its a sticky situation because I am so young and really don't want to stop working but there is no way I should be doing my current job either I am going to screw up and get myself or someone else in a jam.

Edited by WVSERVER

WVSERVER not taking away you wanting to go to school but to explain more in detail with TDIU and P&T; with TDIU even though you are 90% you can be paid at 100% if you cannot work. That is what TDIU is. P&T means your conditions are permanent and will not improve over time but most of the time get worse. There is a stabilize period, like I am in now. They will see how you condition stabilizes because some conditions get better while other conditions like mine won't. After the stabilization period you are most likely given P&T which basically means you are permanently and totally disabled. It doesn't mean you can't do nothing, it just means its permanent. Now, back to TDIU. There are thousands, hundreds of thousands of people who might have a rating of 80% but they cannot work. Ratings are not based on if you cannot work or not but the degree of your medical issue. A person can have a 50% rating the highest that they can go because that is the highest for that rating and they cannot work while there are others who are 100% and can work because their ratings, medical issues, have a higher rating. This is why TDIU was created, to help those who are not 100% or will never be able to reach 100% but cannot work.

TDIU is a rating in itself actually and so is P&T. You have PTSD, and I can tell you that PTSD doesn't heal. Have you ever watched Band of Brothers when they interviewed those WWII veterans? They will tell you PTSD never leaves you. We are the lucky ones because PTSD is not rated but with the WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Vets (Correct?) there was no PTSD rating and they suffered big time. My wife's uncles still has nightmares to this day. Her cousins has told me stories of him yelling screaming in the middle of the night because of the stuff he went through in Vietnam.

I would suggest you try TDIU and SSDI. Now, TDIU in itself won't allot you to get ChampVA for your kids but P&T will. TDIU with P&T will benfits NOT just you but your wife and kids. How? With P&T status your wife can go to college, paid tuition and a monthly stipend and your kids the same. So think about it, With P&T you get CHAMPVA, dependents can go to college paid by the VA or even the state, depending what state your in, and most states give you exemption on property taxes and most licenses like fishing license. TDIU alone will give you access to every military base to go to the PX and Commissary. Plus with TDIU you get a military retired ID and you can use certain lodges/hotels very very cheap...Just food for though for you.