Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

2015 Budget And Tdiu Vets 65 And Older

Rate this question

RockyA1911

Question

I've read the 2015 OMB Budget, stating effective 1 Oct 2015 that vets eligible for SSA or drawing SSA at ages 65-67 dependent on birthdays will no longer be paid at the 100% rate and will be paid at their assigned disability rate. Will current Vets that have been being paid a 100% for say 7 or 8 years be flat cutoff or is there a grandfather clause in the making. I am not concerned for myself as I am Schedular 100% with housebound award, but I have two buddies that are TDIU. One is 80% and the other 70%. Does anyone know the current status of this budget recommendation? It is posted on the website, but have not seen any threads concerning it. And Yeah I know it's been more than a several years since I have posted.

Here's my update. Went to VAMC Iowa City last week for 7 year throat cancer check up exam. I had finished the last of my radiation and chemo on the 1 Feb 2008. I have been going for follow-up exams ever since then and for the last two years it's been every 6 mos. They found a different suspicious spot and not near the spot the previous cancer was and it looked good. They attempted to do a local Biopsy in the exam room with just Novocain. They mad three attempts and each time I gagged and they had to withdraw the tool and reinsert. The fourth time it gagged me so bad I threw up. So they seized any further attempts at biopsy. I am scheduled to go back on 27 March 2015 and they will do another exam and if the spot is still there, then I will be scheduled for a surgical biopsy and put to sleep in a operating room and the biopsy will be taken then.

I've had 35 radiation treatments and 3 chemos 8 hrs each.....I pray I won't have to go through that again......don't feel I'll make it through that again.

• HadIt.com Elder

You have to remember that it's not exactly about veterans, it's about money in general. As has been the practice in the past, veterans benefits are always one of the things that politicians would like to quietly curtail!

Our only defense is to prevent the quietly part.

The history goes back longer than I've been around.

Other things that have occurred on a (we can't afford it basis) The COL used for SS and DOD salary raises is about 1/2 the actual COL as experienced by most people.

The roads and bridges are falling apart. Our cities, in comparison to many of the "emerging nation" cities are in extremely dire straits.

The USAF cannot afford to keep A-10's in service, and the replacement cannot do the job until at least 2021, if then.

As to the politicians advocating sending troops to ------ They have to be outta their minds!

We cannot afford war and it's costs. We haven't actually paid for the last ones! This is rather obvious, as the government's method of funding is simply to "print more money".

(The phrase is actually obsolete, in that the government creates more dollars without actually printing them.)

• HadIt.com Elder

If vets who get SSDI or SSA over 65 lost TDIU it would create a bombshell of appeals. I get "S" based on being Total plus 60%. My total is based on TDIU. My wife gets ChampVA based on my being P&T which is based on TDIU. I get a total tax exemption based on being TDIU P&T. I get vision and dental care based on TDIU. My wife is entitled to DIC based on TDIU for the last ten years. If the congress pulls such a stunt I would be shocked, but I am not shocked that they would consider it. Many in congress hate so-called entitlement programs and they consider VA benefits as an entitlement just like Welfare. I can survive if such a thing happened, but I would sure be mad as hell, and would create many hardships for me and my wife. Many vet spouses would be left in the cold, and I do think it would create a fire storm of protest. At least I hope it would. I was forced out of work at age 51 and have been on SSDI since then. I have lost my opportunity for a better SSA package and pension as has my wife due to our belief that TDIU would be there. I don't expect such a radical change, but if it comes I will be protesting even if I have to get arrested. As a Vietnam vet I should be used to being sold out.

John

i am changing my power of attorney to paralyzed veterans of america. the local service officer called me this morning and we had a nice 20 minute conversation. i mentioned this legislation to him as a concern and he thinks its highly doubtful it would ever happen.