VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

2015 Budget And Tdiu Vets 65 And Older

Rate this question

RockyA1911

Question

I've read the 2015 OMB Budget, stating effective 1 Oct 2015 that vets eligible for SSA or drawing SSA at ages 65-67 dependent on birthdays will no longer be paid at the 100% rate and will be paid at their assigned disability rate. Will current Vets that have been being paid a 100% for say 7 or 8 years be flat cutoff or is there a grandfather clause in the making. I am not concerned for myself as I am Schedular 100% with housebound award, but I have two buddies that are TDIU. One is 80% and the other 70%. Does anyone know the current status of this budget recommendation? It is posted on the website, but have not seen any threads concerning it. And Yeah I know it's been more than a several years since I have posted.

Here's my update. Went to VAMC Iowa City last week for 7 year throat cancer check up exam. I had finished the last of my radiation and chemo on the 1 Feb 2008. I have been going for follow-up exams ever since then and for the last two years it's been every 6 mos. They found a different suspicious spot and not near the spot the previous cancer was and it looked good. They attempted to do a local Biopsy in the exam room with just Novocain. They mad three attempts and each time I gagged and they had to withdraw the tool and reinsert. The fourth time it gagged me so bad I threw up. So they seized any further attempts at biopsy. I am scheduled to go back on 27 March 2015 and they will do another exam and if the spot is still there, then I will be scheduled for a surgical biopsy and put to sleep in a operating room and the biopsy will be taken then.

I've had 35 radiation treatments and 3 chemos 8 hrs each.....I pray I won't have to go through that again......don't feel I'll make it through that again.

• HadIt.com Elder

Okay, this is only an proposed option it has not been passed as I know it?

Like you mention Ms Carlie and Ms Berta will know or find out!

Thanks Bud

........................Buck!

from what i have read, some of the veterans agencies (VFW) have been in contact to ensure the va continues to be protected from any further budget sequestation (of which this is proposed). best i can tell va is still exempt as the president hasn't announced it has changed. there is some movement on capitol hill to permanetly remove the va from any further sequestrations.

the option as currently proposed would end unemployability when the veteran reaches 100 percent of his social security age (between 65 and 67). for me it would be next february when i turn 66.

this is not included in the president's curent va budget for fy 2016.

i am a retired reporter and i spend countless hours on my computer doing research, which is why i am fairly current on this.

Edited by iceturkee

there is a press release on VFW.org from march 6 regarding their efforts to end any va involvement in future sequestrians. the national commander addressed a joint meeting of the house and senate veterans affairs comittees.

my 2 cents, given the public opinion toward the va right now and given the fact the president asked for a 9 billion increase in the va's fy2016 budget, i strongly believe this will go by the way side at some point before the end of the current fiscal year. of course, when dealing with congress anything is possible.

Edited by iceturkee

so when I turn 67 I loose my TDIU and presently paid at 100% for my 90% rating. I took early SS at 62. So at 67 will I then be paid at the full SS retirement rate since that is when I loose my paid at 100% TDIU rate?

so when I turn 67 I loose my TDIU and presently paid at 100% for my 90% rating. I took early SS at 62. So at 67 will I then be paid at the full SS retirement rate since that is when I loose my paid at 100% TDIU rate?

no. first, there is a chart for you to check (depending on your birthday) when you reach 100 percent of your social security. i opted to take my social security at 62 too and as far as i know, that is the rate i will be paid until i die.

Then where is it verified that it is not in the CBO 2015 Budget......I can't find anything that shows that the proposal has been disapproved. Surely there must be a way to find out. As far as I can see so far it is still a open CBO 2015 Budget proposal. It is not a sequester but a justification for budget dollars in mandatory spending category that reduces the deficit. It is also logical that a vet at retirement age is not seeking employment but has retired and drawing normal SS benefit and thus how would he be considered unemployable if he/she has opted to retire and not work. I can understand the rationale there. That's why we need to know exactly what the status of this proposal is........is it open or is it closed and dead?