Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Urgent Help Please - New Claim

Rate this question

Leon2015

Question

My fellow Vets,

I currently have a dilemma, and any useful ideas would be GREATLY appreciated. I'm currently 60% for GERD but my total compensation is 70%.

I was working but my GERD was so bad and caused me to take a lot of days off, the symptoms of my GERD and other VA ailments caused me constant depression and daily anxiety. Due to these circumstances my VA Mental Health Doctor wrote a letter to my supervisor(federal job) stating I need to take time off to deal with my mental health issues. Now I'm coming up on year of being out of work. During this time I have been receiving frequent treatment from the VA and I'm on numerous mental health meds. I had depression and anxiety for over 25 years but was afraid to file for any mental health issues because I didnt want to put my clearance in jeopardy. I finally had complete breakdown and I turned myself in for evaluation.

Here is my current question, I have new claim ready to go out this week for Major Depression and Anxiety, but I would like to file TDIU with this claim but I'm not sure if it is a good idea.

I hope so people can chime in on this message this week, so I can get this claim out soon. I have a claim date of 5/2014 in Ebenefits waiting to go.

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

File for tdiu now.Tdiu is also a claim for increase and must be considered along with the mental health claim. It also reserve's your effective date. You have documented evidence of unemployability and already at the percentage level so why would you NOT apply for tdiu.Your varo will give you c&p exam/opinion and you take it from there.

• HadIt.com Elder

If your SC Disability keeps you from working or finding gainful employment then VA has the duty to assist and rate you with the IU but its always good to file a claim for it too incase they forget!

................Buck!

• HadIt.com Elder

How many years of Federal Service and what agency.

It looks like you may be able to go out on Fers Disability retirement.

That will help you win an IU claim but here is the bad news. It is taking up to 14 months for OPM to award Fers disability claims.

The Doc could take you off of work to bypass the Reasonable accommodation BS the Govt lays on you.

This is a lengthy process and you have to file for SSDI at the same time.

This is a risky adventure for anyone but it is another option.

Here is a helpful site. www.harrisfederal.com

J

Thanks to all for chiming in. I guess this is better time then ever to file for TDIU.

JBASSER, everything you wrote about im already doing (Harris did my package).

Question of the day: I should be hopefully be recieving a FERS approval letter over next couple of month. Should I wait until I get the FERS letter before filing for TDIU. Would the FERS approval letter help my case?

Based on what I just googled, you should apply now.

I googled FERS TDIU BVA and some of our posts popped up for this subject with the links as well as YUKU VBN post and other info.

Berta, excellent, I appreciate your input. I'm defintely leaning towards adding my TDIU to my claim this weekend. I was reading today if you apply for TDIU they go thru your whole file with a fine tooth comb and you could end up losing rating percentage instead of gaining TDIU. I'm not worried about that because all disabilties affect me daily in a very adverse manner, but it makes me wonder. There is intimidation factor there.

All of these decisions are tough.