Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd And Mdd Combined

Rate this question

diver

Question

I am looking for information. I was talking to the rater of my claim and she stated that even though I am rated for 50% MDD/Depression they will still rate my PTSD if granted and then they will combine the 2 and grant a higher rating. Has this happened to any one and if so does that change the % that it goes up. Does it still go up from 50 to 70 or because of the combined would they change it to 60%

Diver

diver, i feel for you bud. But you don't have to take that. If the treatment options that they are giving you aren't working for you ask to change docs. Better yet don't ask to do so insist on it. These docs forget who they work for sometimes. They are employed because of patients. If you are not making progress with what tools she gives you tell her so. If she gives you crap, demand a different doc.

There are some good tools online and there is even a PTSD coach with mobile devices. I am not sure if you are tech savvy but you at least know how to get around in the forums so it may be worth a shot. Also remember slow is smooth smooth is fast. There are resources out there. JMO take care

I had an appointment with the social worker yesterday and she started to reed my file. She stated that yesterday the VA changed my raiting. I am now rated for ptsd and they added the mdd into it. Unfortunately the rating stayed at 50% but that answers my question about what they will do. I went to look at me AB8 letter and at the bottom before it stated that I was scheduled for a reduction in 2020 and now it does not. Also there was a seccond letter just below this letter and that one is not there any more. To be honest the deduction statment may have been on the missing letter.

Diver

I had an appointment with the social worker yesterday and she started to reed my file. She stated that yesterday the VA changed my raiting. I am now rated for ptsd and they added the mdd into it. Unfortunately the rating stayed at 50% but that answers my question about what they will do. I went to look at me AB8 letter and at the bottom before it stated that I was scheduled for a reduction in 2020 and now it does not. Also there was a seccond letter just below this letter and that one is not there any more. To be honest the deduction statment may have been on the missing letter.

Diver

I am still waiting on the decision to be mailed. I know I won the MDD claim but I am so damn curious about how they rated it and their explanation as to service connection. The funny part now is that they "ACCIDENTALLY" removed my attorneys access to the my records. So he is blind sort of speaking. However, before losing access he saw the proposed decision in the works. I know they service connected all the issues on my claim. A 50% for one and zero's for the others. What I want and need is the decision. Also the DRO must have decided against my appeal because now Ebennies states that an SOC was mailed. Anyways off point.

With any mental condition or set of mental conditions if they cannot be separated then they are rated with the most predominant illness, however, that doesn't mean that suddenly the others don't exist or go away. PTSD and depression and anxiety are closely related. In itself PTSD in an anxious state due to a traumatic event or series of events. JMO but I would like to meet an individual that suffers from PTSD and does not have anxiety or depression issues. I am not sure that would be possible. JMO but I believe those go hand in hand.

Per the regs if they can't separate them, then it is combined and the most prominent condition becomes the basis for service connection and ratting. Again this is just from my experience and reading of the regulations that relate to this.

If anyone else has a take on this please chime in. Because I am getting ready to dig in and fight this before I even get the hardcopy decision back. I already started on my NOD and looking over how to file the form 9 and waiver of review. I am not doing a DRO review again.

AskNod is right on point with the DRO review. It is a waste of time IMO as well. Try it once and don't go back to it again. Head straight to BVA if your evidence and case is strong. Save back at least one peace of evidence or strong IME/IMO. I believe that is the strongest attack.

Anyways of point again. With mental conditions that are intertwined like this. I still believe you have to approach treating the conditions from a multi faceted attack plan. Bite my tongue, the VA does have some excellent resources, and once you get the Doctors on board, you can get quality treatment. For those that are tech savvy the PTSD app is a good resource. Meditation and breathing exercises help me quite a bit. Also get a hobby, the distraction, even if brief, does so much. Most importantly have a support structure, whether it be a spouse or significant other. My last point talk or chat with people that have gone and are going through what your facing. It makes me closer to being normal when I do some of these things. JMO