Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd And Mdd Combined

Rate this question

diver

Question

I am looking for information. I was talking to the rater of my claim and she stated that even though I am rated for 50% MDD/Depression they will still rate my PTSD if granted and then they will combine the 2 and grant a higher rating. Has this happened to any one and if so does that change the % that it goes up. Does it still go up from 50 to 70 or because of the combined would they change it to 60%

Diver

I have already been diagnosed and granted depression as connected to me service connected knees. I have also been diagnosed with ptsd through the VA. I do understand that you can only be rated for 1. I am intrigued with what the rater told me. That still doesn't mean that they will grant service connection for the ptsd. I hope they do so I can see what they will do with it.

• HadIt.com Elder

There is something called co-morbidity which means usually that your combined conditions make your entire condition worse. Depression is a very common symptom of PTSD. Even if you only get DX for depression you can get 100% for that. If you can't work due to bouts of depression that is evidence for TDIU at least. You don't have to be DX'ed with PTSD to get TDIU or 100% from the VA for a mental condition.

First the VA DX'ed me with Schizophrenia when I first went to the VA in 1972. Later it was changed to Bipolar. Then MMD and then back to schizophrenia. Finally, they just threw it all at the wall and rated me 70% TDIU. The DX is not so important. The army shrink DX'ed me as a personality disorder because I would not call him "Sir" and called him doctor instead. The best way to get a higher rating once you are SC is to get an IME/IMO.

John

Yeah John. I would have to agree. With anything that you are service connected for you need to continue treatment. VA or private. Make sure that at least once a year preferably at each 6 month exam you visit with the VA primary care. If you don't suddenly the VA starts saying that you are cured because you are not seeking treatment. What is funny, for me at least, a lot of my anxiety is made worse just by dealing with the VA and the VA claims process. But heh to each his own.

I am doing everything I can to go in to the clinic especially the counselor. I start stressing so much. My knees start bouncing and I start sweating. It is not a pleasant time. Then when I get in to see the counselor she tells me that until I come up with something that I want to fix she can't help me. I don't know I have been having problems for 20 years now. I don't know what part of me to fix. I've told her I want to work on anger, panic attacks, anxiety, compulsive disorder. She has given my touchy feely Zen crap that works for some people but it makes me feel like an idiot. I'm in a no win situation. I like most of you just want to suffer in Pease and not have the stress of fighting with the VA.

Without fail every visit I make for therapy or to see my MH DR. I get extremely stressed out. Once I leave and start recounting some of the visit and find where things were twisted I get totally bummed out. On more than one occasion a visit to the VA has totally ruined me for a day or two. Just like I have to force myself to go to work every day, I too have to force myself to go to the VA....is it worth the pain?

My DAV VSO told me I shouldn't talk too much about my suicidal ideation because I can lose my rights? IE "Control of finances" well I've been married to the same lady for 47 years......what I need is peace and no more worry. At 64 I can't see this ending well for me. I'm wasted.