Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Thank You Jesus

Rate this topic

mcoleman5

Great News!

There might be Chapter 35 DEA apps in the packet.

We have a lot of info here under a search on Chapter 35.

I myself and some others here have used this fabulous benefit.

Chapter 35 covers almost every school in the US but not all.

Their school can be accessed on line as to how they should contact the school's veteran's counselor, when they have their Certificate of Eligibility.

That comes after VA gets their DEA Chap 35 application.

As Tbird said, more info should come with the award letter.

If not it is here or can be found at the main VA web site.

There is an age restriction, 26 years old for DEA,, but they can add military service to extend that deadline,if any of your children are also veterans..

The EED VA gave you for the 100% P & T ,controls how much VA will pay them retroactively.for Chapter 35.

I went through that a few years ago and will find that info when you need it. It is here somewhere at hadit.

I needed proof of my past tuitions I paid, that the financial office at my college sent to me, ..and within a few months, (not a bad time frame for the VA ) I had refund of about 6 thousand bucks.

As a widow of a vet (100% P & T) I then applied for an additional Certificate of eligibility due to another VA award letter I got, and they sent me a very favorable additional extension of my Chapter 35.

That is explained here for any Chapter 35 widow/widowers similarly situated as well.

But I need to add that

A lot of this, the application etc, the children have to handle themselves ,as they are the beneficiary.

VA responded to me once , to a letter I wrote to them with questions about my daughter's Chapter 35 eligibility.

Their response was a very nice way of reminding me that my daughter, a veteran 7 years USAF Intel,

was an adult and she would have to ask them those questions herself.

They were right of course.

She had already been to Southeast Asia and many other duty stations,in the Mil already ,and was in the first integrated squadron in the USAF (meaning the women did everything the men did at BT ) but to me she was still my little Baby.

As it happened they made a big error on her very first Chapter 35 award.

But I prepared the NOD for her , mailed it to her, she signed it, mailed it to the VA Edu Dept, and they fixed the error .very fast.

We do have info here to help the kids with the application etc.

They need to estimate the cost of their education on the app and can do that with a guess based on their school's tuitions (which change every year)

It is only an estimate VA expects.., not anything they will hold them to.

The wife is eligible as well. And as there is the CHAMPVA program which might apply to the wife, dont know about the kids....depends on their age etc....

CHAMPVA has a great web site.

GREAT NEWS! Enjoy this Victory.!

Edited by Berta

By the way, I have said "Thank You Jesus" many many many times myself.

For many reasons.

I ask my prayer group to pray for the VA all the time.

Unfortunately VA will not pay for Bible courses or entrance into some religious schools, unless that has changed,

But Liberty University wanted me to enroll right away, a few months ago ,as they fully accept Chapter 35 and are veteran friendly for the GI Bill,etc:

"Since 1986, Liberty University has offered convenient military friendly education for the courageous men and women who have served and continue to serve our great country. Honoring those who serve is at the core of who we are: Christ-centered educators who strive to impact the world and the workplace.

Honoring those who serve includes providing benefits to every branch of active military, reservists, veterans, and military spouses. Discover the benefits Liberty University can provide you:

Military Tuition Discount
Online military, veteran, and military spouse students are given a discount to reduce their tuition to $250 per credit hour. This discount applies to associate, bachelor's and all master's level programs, as well as the Doctor of Education program. It also keeps tuition within the Tuition Assistance cap per credit hour requirement."

https://www.liberty.edu/ms/libertyonlinedegrees/military.php

Edited by Berta

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use