Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What Are My Chances For Iu

Rate this question

RTO69

Question

hello, I am a Viet Nam Vet. I am 70% PTSD, 20% Diabetes, that makes me 80%. I have applied for IU. I had CDL,drove schoolbus 30hrs a week last 7 years. On Zoloff,blood preasure, metformin. School Dist filled out VA form,,said cant drive bus because of meds.. Have retired from Dist, get 200.00 a month from them. Almost 66 years old, I have had trouble working places,my whole life. I don't want to have to tell employers,about my PTSD. I was diagnosed with PTSD in 1983,didn't file claim of fear stigmatized. I filed last June and got it in Dec. What are my chanced for IU? Thank You, Ted.

• HadIt.com Elder

Hi Ted - Welcome to Hadit.com. If you have strong evidence, you should win, easily, but it does take time. Just wondering how it feels to have thrown away about $335,000+/- over what you thought about the "stigma" of having PTSD?? Too bad. Did the VA diagnosis your PTSD in 1983?? If so, you might have a claim dating back to '83 but it would be a real long shot. jmo

pr

Ted,

Don't worry about lost money, sorry to read about your troubles. I myself was med discharged in 98 at 20% and told by many people to file for a upgrade over the years. If I added up the money I lost it would be quite abit. We are all wired different, and any disabilities suffered from service are bad mental or physical and really who of us wants any of these problems.

One thing I will say is what I learned, nothing is a give-me regardless of evidence. So prepare yourself for the long haul and do not give up. Thats not to say people don't get ratings fast and postive.

I had first hand accounts of all my injuries each were well documented during duty, I was told when I signed my discharge papers in 98 that I should have been 80% and should fight the rating I got. Like I said we are all wired different. I bring this up because some can dwell on all the lost money or opportunities, don't; It is what it is.

I hope and pray yours resolves quickly and you get a positive adjudication. If not do not give up.

Edited by DDuck

RTO

The "big" thing...you did not mention. Did your doc opine something very close to?:

"The Veteran is unable to maintain SGE (Substantial gainful employment) due to conditions that are service connected".

If the the answer to the above question is yes, that is, you have medical evidence, your chances are good upon appeal. (Almost everyone gets denied at first and most of us have to appeal).

However, if the answer is that your doc did not make such an opinion, your chances are almost nil. Suggestion: Read your medical reports and find out.

Hi Ted - Welcome to Hadit.com. If you have strong evidence, you should win, easily, but it does take time. Just wondering how it feels to have thrown away about $335,000+/- over what you thought about the "stigma" of having PTSD?? Too bad. Did the VA diagnosis your PTSD in 1983?? If so, you might have a claim dating back to '83 but it would be a real long shot. jmo

pr

I can't throw away something ,I never took. There is more to the picture than meets the eye.

Have an appt. with psychologist, a private contractor with the VA, on the 27th. This will be the 4th one I have seen in the last 6mos. Three worked for VA, this one has contract.