VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep Apnea Not Service Connected

Rate this question

DirtyBulk

Question

Gents,

I have lurked around these boards for about a year now. This board has helped me in more ways than I could ever explain. I am forever grateful for the advice that I have gained from you guys. I am currently rated at 90% for PTSD/Anxiety, Migraines, L/R Shoulder surgeries, keloid scars and tinitus. I was recently diagnosed with sleep apnea by the VA and given a CPAP by the VA, however, when I filed my claim for it, I was denied and said it was not SC. In 2011, a year into my contract, I was diagnosed with anxiety. During one of my visits to the hospital, I had complained of sleep issues and it was documented in SMR. I was also prescribed to Xanax by a military doctor to help with my sleep issues that I was having.

I know how it goes with the VA, but I was pretty damn sure this was a shoe in, but to no avail. I have been assisted by a local VSO and he has been great, but before we sent in this claim, I asked him if I should have "Buddy statements" to support this claim and he advised no, that it could actually make the claim take longer than it should. Those buddy statements I have are from 3 buddies, one of them being the doc that was attached to our platoon in Afghanistan. I complained to him multiple times about my sleeping issues.

I don't know what I should do from here, if anyone has any experience or advice, I would really appreciate it.

Rah :ph34r:

My husband is SC for OSA as a secondary outcome of steroid medications taken for his SC adrenal disorder, 'Nam Vet - way before it was possible to identify OSA as a disease, let alone diagnose it while on AD.

Sometimes you have to think outside the box, especially when it comes to OSA. Always check the effects of meds, especially anti-anxiety meds. You may find credible nexus to prove SC, even without having been diagnosed on AD.

I'm pretty sure direct pharmaceutical evidence would help the poster, as it served the purpose for my husband. Yes, we all know it's an uphill battle. I'm unaware of anyone here who thinks their claims are a piece of cake and aren't expecting any complications.

We didn't have any buddy statements, either. I don't have much faith in their success potential, anyway.

Edited by lotzaspotz

I't helps answer to how my Doc commented in a buddy letter, also i included how VA want's it to be In service diagnosed, furthermore it will help if i get any data back from my similar situation and i will post and you will make from it.

GodSpeed.

Any thoughts or experience in regards to the letter?

you need to ask for a reconsideration with the new evidence your buddy statements, and the treatment records,

and the records from the doctor that would vouch for you, ask your mental health provider what she think of it being

related secondary to your meds or anxiety you suffer. Get a medical opinion you will need it if mental health doctor

cant help with it. jmho

you need to ask for a reconsideration with the new evidence your buddy statements, and the treatment records,

and the records from the doctor that would vouch for you, ask your mental health provider what she think of it being

related secondary to your meds or anxiety you suffer. Get a medical opinion you will need it if mental health doctor

cant help with it. jmho

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

My VSO, who has been really helpful in getting my other claims approved has stated the same thing. All I really have is a few buddy statements, which one of them being our Doc who heard my complaints while we were deployed in Afghanistan. I don't know if his opinion will hold any weight, but just putting it out there. Other statements from Marines I work with who recall me having sleep issues at work and during the night. Also, a few complaints of sleep issues in my SRM's.

My VA doctor said that she believes it may be attributed to my weight gain - I contested that, telling her that I have had sleep issues since I was enlisted. What would I say to my civilian doctor if I needed help?

What would I say to my civilian doctor if I needed help?

he will first have the doctor review your SMR and buddy statements,

the doctor statements anything you have to help your case. Tell him why you

think it is service related and then ask for his opinion on this and why he think if

should be sc. Maybe get a sleep study done it might give you an ideal of some of the

causes of the problem. I'm not that familiar with SA claims maybe do some research

at BVA or CAVC decisions to see what's won and lost to give you an ideal of whats needed

to win You are on the right path for reconsideration with the new evidence.

Just an update for you guys:

I got 4 buddy statements from people I served with and deployed with. One of them was platoon Doc who stated "SNM came to me multiple times during deployment complaining of sleep issues, I was instructed by my superior to give him benadryl and to tell him that he should suck it up. I do not believe SNM was treated properly for any sleep issues." Also, in the big manila folder of joy, it said "no complaints of sleep issues during time in service." -- I scoured through my medical records and found over 10 instances of complaints of insomnia, lack of sleep, fatigue, head aches, etc. - we attached the specific documents as well. Hopefully that should be able to tip the scale in my favor.

My VSO said that statement from my Doc could possibly weigh heavily on the decision. Let's hope so! I will keep you guys informed, thanks for all the help.