Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Choice Program And "new" Mileage Distance

Rate this question

Chuck75

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

By now everyone has heard about the flack the VA was taking concerning the "crow flies" mileage.

The change to the regs put forth by the VA - - -

Allows/requires the VA to use a computerized program to calculate the mileage.

It does not specify anything concerning the way the program does so.

The concern is that in the past, the VA used such a program, and it did not properly calculate mileage

to a veterans residence. Instead, it seemingly calculated by Zip Code.

The VA's mileage reimbursement specified using one of several methods, including such things as Google and MapQuest,

and added a clause "what is most beneficial to the veteran" or words similar.

Many of the VA's VAMC's chose the VA's computer program, which often resulted in underpayment or occasionally over payment.

Using some of the VA's own dubious statistics, and the number of US VAMC's, the underpayments easily ran into millions of dollars a year.

Somehow, I get a feeling of Deja Vu!

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

Prime example is my case bud, they pay based on zip code, yet I live on other side of county, only a football field from the next county.

• HadIt.com Elder

The Choice card was a Knee Jerk Reaction to the Schedule gate fiasco that the VA was doing to cook the books to get bonus money.

It is like American Express sending you a credit card with a 10K limit but they tell you you cannot use it. It looks good in the wallet. That is about all it is good for.

J

Got a letter in the mail yesterday from the VA saying that I am now eligible for the Choice Program due to my residence location and the distance to the nearest VA clinic. I wasn't eligible earlier when the card was issued, and haven't contacted the VA to appeal it. Something must have changed at least a little.

Mark

Edited by MarkInTexas

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

This change appears to also impact travel pay. I went to the VAMC last week and noticed my travel pay amount almost doubled. It still does not make up for the fact that the Choice Card is practically useless, but this amount is more in line with realistic costs related to travel (fuel, parking, wear and tear).

Everything is done by regulation or directive.

I wonder how we could find out who directed that mileage/VA Choice be determined by zip code under what directive and who changed it.

Is there somewhere at VA we can inquire as to the specific regulations they're using?