Announcements

• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Donation Box

Please donate to support the community.
    We appreciate all donations!
  • Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

• Ads

• Fundraising-001.jpegFund HadIt.com Veteran to Veteran LLC

HadIt.com Veteran to Veteran Fundraiser
    Revenues are down, costs are up and I need your help. Financial gifts are always appreciated but never required. If HadIt.com has helped you and you can give back a little it is appreciated Give here https://community.hadit.com/donate/make-donation/

Give a financial gift to help with the upkeep of HadIt.com. HadIt.com is NOT a non profit. Gifts are not tax deductible, they are just gifts. 

• Our picks

• This is the latest Compensation & Pension (C&P) Clinicians Guide dated 20180719. The only other one I've seen is dated 2002, including the one on this website and the VA website. I got this from my claims agent, who got it from the VA.

VA Compensation & Pension (C&P) Clinicians Guide 2 Final Corrected 20180719.pdf
        • Thanks
      • 5 replies
    • I don’t say thank you enough to all of you...
      You, yes you, are the reason HadIt.com has remained a resource-rich resource. Thousands come each month to read, ask questions, or to feel a sense of community.

Last month June 2020, we over 50k visitors they viewed over 160k pages. Veterans and their advocates, spouses, children, and friends of veterans come looking for answers. Because we have posts dating back 15 years and articles on the home page, they usually can find an answer or at least get pointed in the right direction.

You all made that possible. Thank you.
      • 3 replies
    • Help HadIt.com stay online buy a subscription
      If you can afford it and want to help hadit.com consider buying a subscription this gives you as free viewing of the site and allows me to budget in subscription payments.

You can try it for 1 month for $5 or get a monthly subscription or a yearly subscription.

Subscribe here https://community.hadit.com/subscriptions/
      • 1 reply
    • VA has a special where we can ask questions TODAY, at 3:00 to "people that matter?"  Someone should ask why we can not ask them questions EVERY day, why today only? (This is a big problem with VA..the 800 number often does not give specific answers).  We should have people in VA who "solve Vets problems" like Allison Hickey did a few years ago. 
      • 8 replies
    • The 5, 10, 20 year rules...

Five Year Rule) If you have had the same rating for five or more years, the VA cannot reduce your rating unless your condition has improved on a sustained basis. All the medical evidence, not just the reexamination report, must support the conclusion that your improvement is more than temporary.

Ten Year Rule) The 10 year rule is after 10 years, the service connection is protected from being dropped.

Twenty Year Rule) If your disability has been continuously rated at or above a certain rating level for 20 or more years, the VA cannot reduce your rating unless it finds the rating was based on fraud. This is a very high standard and it's unlikely the rating would get reduced.

If you are 100% for 20 years (Either 100% schedular or 100% TDIU - Total Disability based on Individual Unemployability or IU), you are automatically Permanent & Total (P&T). And, that after 20 years the total disability (100% or IU) is protected from reduction for the remainder of the person's life. "M-21-1-IX.ii.2.1.j. When a P&T Disability Exists"

At 55, P&T (Permanent & Total) or a few other reasons the VBA will not initiate a review. Here is the graphic below for that. However if the Veteran files a new compensation claim or files for an increase, then it is YOU that initiated to possible review.

NOTE: Until a percentage is in place for 10 years, the service connection can be removed. After that, the service connection is protected.

------

Example for 2020 using the same disability rating

1998 - Initially Service Connected @ 10%

RESULT: Service Connection Protected in 2008

RESULT: 10% Protected from reduction in 2018 (20 years)

2020 - Service Connection Increased @ 30%

RESULT: 30% is Protected from reduction in 2040 (20 years)
        • Thanks
      • 9 replies
  • Advertisemnt

Sign in to follow this  
fatheryabueloDE9

Dsm Iv Or Dsm-V - Are C & P & Ro Raters Required To Use Year Claim Filed ?

Question

Good day fellow Vets,

It appears many C & P exam results posted the last few months are quoting the use of DSM IV, some DSM-V.

I filed my claim in May 2014. My C & P exam was in March 2015. The VA Psych examiner official results quoted using DSM-V.

Since Feb. 2014, my primary CBOC, MH practitioner (a contracted LCSW) exclusively used DSM-IV.

Most of his notes about my visits from Feb. 2014 through Sept. 2014 quote DSM-IV terminology; all have a GAF of 45. (None recently.

He was on medical leave from late Oct until this month)

Recently, in April 2015, my Regular meeting with my 2nd MH person was changed at the last minute. Upon my CBOC arrival,
I had a tele-conference with a MD/Psychiatrict at the VA's W. Palm Beach Regional Center.

Her notes of my "visit" quoted I was at a GAF of 55.

Btw, my Claim closed about 2 weeks ago.

A few days ago, my VSO stated the VA's RC Raters are suppose to be using the DSM in effect when a claim is filed. He has been a VSO for 15 years.

A few days ago, the VSO and I met about the 30% rating I recently was given by the FL Regional Office.
I am filing NOD but not specificially about the DSM issue.

I am confused !

Can I please have guidance on what is correct VA rater policy?

Thanks for any clarification.

A Nam Vet

The DSM-5 replaced the DSM-4 because the DSM-4 was making it harder for Vet's to be S/C for PTSD. The DSM-5 allows more Vets to get S/C now for PTSD....

It is really irrelevant to your claim b/c the C/P exam performed used the DSM-5 which is the most recent one.

I had my C/P exam in OCT 2014 and they used the DSM-5

Why are you filing an NOD? Did you read your C/P notes to see what was provided to you regarding your s/c 30% rating? The DSM-5 will not be an issue for you to file the NOD.....

PTSD has a break down as to what each % represents - look at the below and then read your C/P exam...I am pretty sure the language for 30% is in your C/P exam.

General Rating Formula for Mental Disorders:

Total occupational and social impairment, due to such symptoms as:

gross impairment in thought processes or communication;

persistent delusions or hallucinations; grossly inappropriate

behavior; persistent danger of hurting self or others; intermittent

inability to perform activities of daily living (including maintenance

of minimal personal hygiene); disorientation to time or place; memory

loss for names of close relatives, own occupation, or own name .................... 100

Occupational and social impairment, with deficiencies in most areas,

such as work, school, family relations, judgment, thinking, or mood,

due to such symptoms as: suicidal ideation; obsessional rituals

which interfere with routine activities; speech intermittently illogical,

obscure, or irrelevant; near-continuous panic or depression affecting

the ability to function independently, appropriately and effectively;

impaired impulse control (such as unprovoked irritability with periods

of violence); spatial disorientation; neglect of personal appearance and

hygiene; difficulty in adapting to stressful circumstances (including

work or a worklike setting); inability to establish and maintain

effective relationships ........................................................................................ 70

Occupational and social impairment with reduced reliability and

productivity due to such symptoms as: flattened affect; circumstantial,

circumlocutory, or stereotyped speech; panic attacks more than once

a week; difficulty in understanding complex commands; impairment

of short- and long-term memory (e.g., retention of only highly learned

material, forgetting to complete tasks); impaired judgment; impaired

abstract thinking; disturbances of motivation and mood; difficulty in

establishing and maintaining effective work and social relationships ................ 50

Occupational and social impairment with occasional decrease in work

efficiency and intermittent periods of inability to perform occupational

tasks (although generally functioning satisfactorily, with routine

behavior, self-care, and conversation normal), due to such symptoms

as: depressed mood, anxiety, suspiciousness, panic attacks (weekly or

less often), chronic sleep impairment, mild memory loss (such as

forgetting names, directions, recent events) ....................................................... 30

Occupational and social impairment due to mild or transient symptoms

which decrease work efficiency and ability to perform occupational

tasks only during periods of significant stress, or; symptoms controlled

by continuous medication .................................................................................. 10

A mental condition has been formally diagnosed, but symptoms are not

severe enough either to interfere with occupational and social

functioning or to require continuous medication.................................................. 0

If the rule changes during the claims process, the VA is supposed to use the rule that is most favorable to the claimant. In your case, they can use the DSM- IV(if the DSM-IV was being used on the date your claim was filed). If the DSM-V was in effect then they must use that. Back when they awarded me(1999) my 100%, for PTSD, the rules had changed and they had to use the one most favorable to me. It worked out well for me!

pr

Well I think I found this reference you are looking for. Had a heck of a time finding it.

Had to put it in PDF the source is listed below and when you click you have to download a word document first, but when trying to copy and paste it screwed up the formatting so I made it into a PDF for you.

Section A. Examination Requests - Veterans Benefits - United States Department of Veterans Affairs

M21-1MRIII_iv_3_secA (1)-ptsd-dsm-5.pdf

Good post Tbird!

That is why the examiner used the DSM V vs. the DSM IV b/c of the C/P exam was in 2015... They used the correct DSM - fatheryabueloDE9

I hope that helped!

The DSM-5 replaced the DSM-4 because the DSM-4 was making it harder for Vet's to be S/C for PTSD. The DSM-5 allows more Vets to get S/C now for PTSD....

It is really irrelevant to your claim b/c the C/P exam performed used the DSM-5 which is the most recent one.

I had my C/P exam in OCT 2014 and they used the DSM-5

Why are you filing an NOD? Did you read your C/P notes to see what was provided to you regarding your s/c 30% rating? The DSM-5 will not be an issue for you to file the NOD.....

PTSD has a break down as to what each % represents - look at the below and then read your C/P exam...I am pretty sure the language for 30% is in your C/P exam.

General Rating Formula for Mental Disorders:

Total occupational and social impairment, due to such symptoms as:

gross impairment in thought processes or communication;

persistent delusions or hallucinations; grossly inappropriate

behavior; persistent danger of hurting self or others; intermittent

inability to perform activities of daily living (including maintenance

of minimal personal hygiene); disorientation to time or place; memory

loss for names of close relatives, own occupation, or own name .................... 100

Occupational and social impairment, with deficiencies in most areas,

such as work, school, family relations, judgment, thinking, or mood,

due to such symptoms as: suicidal ideation; obsessional rituals

which interfere with routine activities; speech intermittently illogical,

obscure, or irrelevant; near-continuous panic or depression affecting

the ability to function independently, appropriately and effectively;

impaired impulse control (such as unprovoked irritability with periods

of violence); spatial disorientation; neglect of personal appearance and

hygiene; difficulty in adapting to stressful circumstances (including

work or a worklike setting); inability to establish and maintain

effective relationships ........................................................................................ 70

Occupational and social impairment with reduced reliability and

productivity due to such symptoms as: flattened affect; circumstantial,

circumlocutory, or stereotyped speech; panic attacks more than once

a week; difficulty in understanding complex commands; impairment

of short- and long-term memory (e.g., retention of only highly learned

material, forgetting to complete tasks); impaired judgment; impaired

abstract thinking; disturbances of motivation and mood; difficulty in

establishing and maintaining effective work and social relationships ................ 50

Occupational and social impairment with occasional decrease in work

efficiency and intermittent periods of inability to perform occupational

tasks (although generally functioning satisfactorily, with routine

behavior, self-care, and conversation normal), due to such symptoms

as: depressed mood, anxiety, suspiciousness, panic attacks (weekly or

less often), chronic sleep impairment, mild memory loss (such as

forgetting names, directions, recent events) ....................................................... 30

Occupational and social impairment due to mild or transient symptoms

which decrease work efficiency and ability to perform occupational

tasks only during periods of significant stress, or; symptoms controlled

by continuous medication .................................................................................. 10

A mental condition has been formally diagnosed, but symptoms are not

severe enough either to interfere with occupational and social

functioning or to require continuous medication.................................................. 0

Hi Navyforlife,

Yes, my C & P did have section about the s/c 30% rating. His narrative also did not fitI disagreed right away.

Three days after my exam, I saw and copied my C & P results from my HealtheVet, I disagreed.

The year plus of notes by the MH team had the wording which fits the 50% criteria rather than the former one.

Last Friday, I met with the VSO about my Rating results. He concurred I should file the NOD and get a DRO.

He is away on VA updates/training this week. We will get together to prepare the NOD upon his return.

A Nam Vet