Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Questionable Claims Agent

Rate this question

ihateliver

Question

I just came across this site yesterday and there is alot of great information here. Hopefully someone can assist me with this issue.

Three or four years ago a Veteran I met out and about informed me of a Vet Rep who could assist me with increasing my current 40% rating. I paid him $500.00 up front for representation and he would get 10% of any backpay. However he doesnt call, he is not listed as my POA on the ebenefits website, and I can never reach him by phone or email. I'm at a loss of what to do.

W E Taylor

US Army

1981-1992

jbasser I currently do not have any claims outstanding as far as I can tell. Nothing shows up on eBenefits. And Tbird I will not post his name. Thanks.

W E Taylor

US Army

1981-1992

• HadIt.com Elder

I understand your position. Heads up Hadit veterans, do not let a rep or agent charge you for filing a claim.

The only instances where you can be represented by counsel is after you have a decision in your hand and you disagree. That can be either a grant or a denial, as long as you NOD a decision. Then you can sign a fee agreement with the counsel. Personally I would use an accredited claims agent like John Dorle or an attorney like Bob Walsh.

J

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

jbasser.

NOD a decision? Please explain. Thanks. I'm new here and don't understand the lingo. Anyway I'm a pretty smart dude. Buck - a $500.00 mistake ain't that bad. I've made worse. Anyway that was a few years ago. I need to know where do I start now to submit my own claim since this jamoke isn't going to do it. The rep came as a referral from another 100% veteran. I spoke to the guy last week. He had his wife, also a vet, working with the guy as well. However I found out that she ended up submitting her own paperwork for increased benefits and is also now at 100%. All without this dudes help. I was informed that the VA rep may be overwhelmed with work and is lagging on many vet cases at this time. However that is unacceptable.

I did sign an agreement to pay him 10% of any retro pay received. However not sure if I qualify for any retro since no claim had been filed on my behalf.

I will do this on my own with your guys help. Step one anybody? Getting my C-File?

W E Taylor

US Army

1981-1992

Jbasser, thanks for posting those regulations.

I was always under the impression that fees could not be charged at all ,for claims help, unless it was from a retro payment and a lawyer was the POA.

I saw 2 local vets gets taken here in NY years ago by vet rep wannabees and one of them did get into trouble because he was actually a bonafide vet rep for the AL , but none of the vet orgs charge.

$500 up front?

and more?

"I did sign an agreement to pay him 10% of any retro pay received. However not sure if I qualify for any retro since no claim had been filed on my behalf."

I am shocked at that.

Your inservice sinus issues could have a bearing on the fact that you need a C Pap now. That will probably take a good C & P but more likely a strong IMO.

If you tell us more we can help.

Personally I feel you should contact this guy's boss (the head of the vet org) and tell them what happened and see if the claim was really filed.Possibly it was because:

"He did get me a psych eval".

What was the evaluation for, a MH claim? Do you have a copy of the results?

The advise at hadit is Free. The guests at our blog radio shows are here on their time, and their advise is free.

Title 38 and 38 CFR, and M21---these are the regulations that control our claims....are all freely accessible either here or elsewhere on the internet.

I think it is a disgrace what this rep did to you.I dont even consider him a rep, I consider him as a thief.

Rootbeer is right:

"Frankly, at the end of the day, you will be your best Advocate so you need to start on that journey right now....good luck."

And the hardcore claimants here know more about the claims process than many of the vet reps out there.

And more then the VA sometimes.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• HadIt.com Elder

jbasser.

NOD a decision? Please explain. Thanks. I'm new here and don't understand the lingo. Anyway I'm a pretty smart dude. Buck - a $500.00 mistake ain't that bad. I've made worse. Anyway that was a few years ago. I need to know where do I start now to submit my own claim since this jamoke isn't going to do it. The rep came as a referral from another 100% veteran. I spoke to the guy last week. He had his wife, also a vet, working with the guy as well. However I found out that she ended up submitting her own paperwork for increased benefits and is also now at 100%. All without this dudes help. I was informed that the VA rep may be overwhelmed with work and is lagging on many vet cases at this time. However that is unacceptable.

I did sign an agreement to pay him 10% of any retro pay received. However not sure if I qualify for any retro since no claim had been filed on my behalf.

I will do this on my own with your guys help. Step one anybody? Getting my C-File?

If you disagree with a decision, you file a NOD or Notice of disagreement. At that stage you can get representation.

J

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

Ok, ihateliver.

I challenge you to be a person of your word and allow HADIT members to help you get service connected.

People here are knowledgeable in a wide array of compensation areas and I'm sure we can put you on the right path.

First, tell us what you are claiming, was the issue or similar complaints in your SMR, and do you have a current diagnosis?

If you get us this information, the HADIT community might be able to help.

HADIT Community lets get this guy/gal compensated.