Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

20% Disabled Id Card?

Rate this question

ktm rider

Question

Hello,

I have searched and searched for an answer to this question but there just doesn't seem to be one out there so I will ask here.

How do I get some kind of ID card proving 20% disability? Everytime I try to use a veterans discount for something they ask for an ID card. I am talking about trivial things of course like discounts at Lowe's for instance.

• HadIt.com Elder

As for as prices at the Commissary

We went to Barksdale Air Force Base in Shreveport/Bossier City,La (Where they took the President during 911)

Anyway we didn't find the prices on Food Products to be cheaper than Wal-mart other than the no tax.

It basically was not worth the trip from Dallas.

Wife was disappointed.

.............Buck

That's not to uncommon.

Our local commissary is about the same as well. However, the local WM seems to have a lower selection of meat than the commissary.

Occasionally, we end up going to Sam's to buy meat when things are a bit bare at the commissary.

You can save at any of the above if you are extremely selective in what you buy where, and when.

The commissary seems to usually have more tender steaks than WM. Sam's is better than WM in this area.

The variety of ethnic related food is usually also larger at the commissary.

Mark,

I got my most recent (2014) VA Identification card at my VA outpatient clinic. If you are already in the VA healthcare system, I am surprised you do not already have a VA ID card.

GP

Well, This is where I am a bit confused. I work at a Federal Penitentiary and have health care coverage for me and my family and have for years. I would guess since I am already covered through my insurance at work, I am not eligible to use the VA health care system, which is fine with me, I'm just trying to figure this all out. So, since I don't use the VA system for medical issues I did not get a ID card showing I am service connected.

Edited by ktm rider

Kim rider,

Even though you are employed with Bureau of Prisons, you can still sign up for VA healthcare system and get a VA ID card. Just go to your nearest VA medical center and sign up. I am retired from federal government and signed up for VA healthcare system before retirement. If you sign up, you have to notify the VAMC of any other health insurance coverage you have so the VA can bill them for their part of bills for VA healthcare if appropriate. They will scan your insurance card into their system. Personally, I would suggest that veterans not use the VA for their healthcare unless it is the only healthcare available to them. In order to stay in the VA system, I go to my VAMC once a year for a physical exam and I provide them with copies of medical reports from my private doctors that I want scanned in to my VA medical records. Others use the VA just for prescriptions and dental care (100%vets only). JMO

Good luck to you.

GP

p.s.- I conducted a lot of business at several U.S Penitentiaries when I worked with U.S. Marshals Service from 1978 to 2004.

Called the closest VA outpatient clinic down in Beaumont today. Got a human being pretty much immediately, and he advised me to come on down and fill out the paperwork for an ID card at their location. Although he advised that he didn't feel that I needed any documentation, he said it might be wise to bring my DD Form 214/215 and a service-connection letter.

I'll probably try to get down there this week or the next and give it a shot. Thanks again!

Mark

Edited by MarkInTexas

Update: Went by the VA Outpatient Clinic and completed a 10EZ for medical care, and also had my photo taken for a VA ID card. I had to bring a copy of my DD Form 214. They weren't interested in a copy of my DD Form 215, just the orginal. Also to get the ID, I needed a valid photo government ID.....Texas DL was sufficient and my Social Security Card. The clerk took my photo and "entered" my request into the system, and advised me that I should get my ID card in the mail within 2 weeks. We'll see how that works out.

Mark

Update: Monday my VA ID card arrived in the mail, earlier than promised. I have to admit that it was pretty easy to get. Once again, thank you Hadit.com for helping me out by pointing out something important to veterans and then helping with achieving the goal.

Mark.