VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How To Read A Statement Of The Case (Screencast Video)

Rate this question

VetlawUS

Question

A Veteran gave me permission to "Screencast" his Statement of the Case (SOC), so I could explain to y'all how to read and understand this form.

Take a look at this Screencast video, and tell me if it is helpful - if so, I will make a ton more of them for y'all.

Screencast Video: How to Read a VA Statement of the Case (SOC)

Chris Attig

Veterans Law Blog

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes Chris this is very helpful.

A great demonstration!

Thank you for your time helping us veterans understand the complicity of the VA.

Be good for you to join Jbasser and Jerrel Cook as there guest on the Hadit radio podcast show some times.

...................Buck

I enjoyed this tremendously.

This is the type of information veterans need.

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER.

Chris:

Wonderful video and I learned a lot about the Statement of Case which is very helpful - so please do more videos. I've been to your webiste a few times for advice. My first FDC Claim has been in the Pending Decision Approval Stage for almost 6 and going on 7 weeks now so I'm getting close to a final decison? As a result, I'm learning as much as I can in case I need to do a NOD, DRO review or Appeal for any of my contentions that get denied? As a little history, I was in the Army as an Army Tanker and in an Anti Tank Ditch Accident in 1984 and later a Tank Main Gun Explosion in 1985 (Blew me off my Feet and blew both ear drums out) which are both well documented. I'm concerned because in both cases, my BN's did not do any LOD's on either incident because I was not at fault but thankfully there are hundreds of pages of SMRs so they are both well documented and occurred in service. Later, I ended up having a S5 L1 Spinal Fusion Operation in Service as a result of the Tank Anti ditch accident that surgery was unsuccessful (I have pedicle screws and hardware). For the most part my CPs are good except for one on the neck/cervical exam areas in which the Dr says, my neck/cervical injury is less less likely than not because it is a natural progression of the disease as a result of my traumatic tank accident. I leanred that he is a contract doctor and it appears that he did not want to appear to be too generous with regard to the ratings? Like in your video example, he concedes that it happended because of the tank accident but less likely due to disease progression? So I imagine, this is one contention I may have to fight later if possible to do so? Also my other major area of claim, I was diagnosed with OSA Sleep Apnea at the Madigan Army Hospital in 2002 and had UUUVP Throat Surgery that was again unsuccessful as well. In the end, I had 3 Sleep Studies and DBQ by well known ENT DR that the OSA is now considered as severe. Hopefully, because it was in service, I'm hoping for a service connection....? Anyway.....thanks again for your efforts in terms of educating Vets...

Edited by rootbeer22

• HadIt.com Elder

Thank you Chris this is a great demonstration we do need more info in this kind of format it is so help full to the lay person..JC