Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tdiu Pt But Working On Ss & Fers Claims

Rate this question

DocFMF

Question

Hello all and this is my first post on HADIT.COM. Please bear with me as I learn the ropes around here. My situation is a bit bass ackwards from what most of the posts I have read on this subject since my IU claim with the VA processed faster than my OPM or SS Claims.

The friday prior to Memorial Day I was informed that the VA fully developed IU claim I submitted on 01/21/2015 had veen approved at 90% but uped to IU for 100% P&T. (AMAZING TIMEFRAME YEAH) This was up from my previous combined 80% rating from when I filed. I'm a 29 year (with 10 year military buy back) WS wage grade supervisor federal employee that has been out of work on LWOP since 01/05/2015 due to my many medical and mental conditions.(Yeah all us supervisors are a little nuts) I filed for my FERS disability retirement from OPM as well as SSDI from Social Security at the same time as I filed for IU with the VA.. OPM initially denied me about 3 weeks earlier but I have an appeal in now. I just sent OPM and SS a copy of my 100% PT claim letter. Also I am 54 and cannot normally retire from civil service for another year and 1/2 due to my age. I contacted SS to request they place me on their VA IU PT 100% program to speed up things on their end. I have only one more SS C&P in early June. I suffer from a ton of conditions both VA service connected and not. My highest VA rating is 70% for PTSD

Ok with all of that said..... What importance/emphasis will OPM & SS place on my IU rating with the VA? What sort of timeframe should I expect from SS? OPM?

I hope I covered everythin. Any information / direction in this matter will help a lot.

Thanks in advance

DocFMF

My OPM was finalized a couple weeks ago. They pay you back from the last day you worked but take out for FEHB and taxes. OPM is a separate animal from VA and SSA, they have their own rules and are hard to get in touch with. Their main line can take over an hour to reach anybody.

Edited by bionoce

Yeah I know,,, I spent 45 minutes on hold then was hung up onbefore I even spoke to anyone. Then another 30 minutes for them to say that there was nothing they could tell me or do for me. But that's cool I resubmitted my VA &SS letters to them along with justifications for every reason they used to deny me. That and will be adding a letter from my ex supervisor who can't fill my position until I leave the rolls. So even though we do not get along... He's willing to help me when he was not at the begining.

I'm attempting to go it without a lawyer.

Wish me luck.

Doc

Edited by DocFMF

• HadIt.com Elder

OPM is actually the easiest to get because under FERS it usually pays the least and is all taxable. After your SSDI and FEHB is compensated for you probably just have chump change left until you hit age 62 and then you get your OPM without the SSDI offset. I had about 20 years in when I applied for OPM. I had to eat the SSDI offset for ten years. My check would be around $350 after I paid for my family FEHB. Now I get around $750. Not much for 30 years of service including all COLA's. When my wife gets Medicare I will suspend the family FEHB since she gets ChampVA. One day I may actually get $1000 a month in cash for my 30 years. FERS was the ruination of Civil Service employment. You can thank Ronald Ray-gun for that one. 1983-84 was the time period when CSRS was destroyed for new hires. I got hired in 1985.

John

Well May and June were great months for me.... I received IU TP from the VA, SSDI from Social Security, and now FERS Disability from OPM.... I'll be making $700 more a month take home pay than I did while I was working. YES!!!!!!!!

Ive heard this from multiple people but have yet to see it applied to my cases. I have 3 permanent debility ratings to my hands. A 10% initial on my left wrist and now after all the hand surgeries hold 15% for, each. Thats DOL related to FERS Employment as an aircraft fuels mechanic. Then an 80% combined VA rating and I'm still waiting on OPM. Denied mostly on everything. They sure make things difficult.

I had a former coworker who I saw at my hand doc appointment ask me why I'm still working and not retired. He has had less surgeries than I have, but he got through the red tape.

Anyone for a grid map or a good suggestion for a Oklahoma law firm to help?

Mr. A

:ph34r: " FIGHT TILL YOUR LAST BREATH " :ph34r: