Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

A Reduction In Rating

Rate this question

RUREADY

Question

I notice some people are getting a proposal to reduce rating...

just remember what it took to get the rating you got. Then you go to

Primary Care Doctor or another C&P for a new claim or increase claim

THEY WILL CHECK YOU FOR YOUR ALREADY service connected disabilities .

Example: you are rated 40% back 40 % radiculopathy of legs, your new claim is for

sleep apnea they ask you to bend and touch your toes and this is even at PC appointments

you bend and its 30 degrees or less to keep 40% you bend 50 degrees this will drop your rating.

Just keep this in mind what it took to get your rating and what it take to keep it. RU

• HadIt.com Elder

How would a veteran get a proposal to reduce his benefits anyway?

If going to your VAMC and the Nurse or Dr Watch your every move?...how does that cause you to be reduced?

Although anything that is said is recorded and put in your MR's

So wouldn't RO or a VAMC Dr (your pcp) have to pull your records and see what was said during your exam's?

I was thinking the only way a Dr can get your records was during a C&P.

Unless its your CPC Doc to get background information for medical purposes.

Now of course those at RO can look into them anytime but don't they need a reason?

Now C&P exams maybe different They watch your body language so to speak and supposable look at you and examine you & ask questions about your disability...If they think your condition has improved & send the report to your RO then yeah I can see the RO send out those proposals to reduce.

but there's a lot more to it than just this they VA have to prove your conditions has in fact improved and not just take the VA Dr word for it.

however its important to veteran to rebut this.

JMO

......Buck

Edited by Buck52

This thread concerns me.....

Why would you NOT want to feel better? So what if you lose your rating...You got the rating for a disability you got while on AD and if the VA Doctor's can make you better isn't that what it is all about? This mentality is exactly why the system is clogged with Vet's trying to get the most buck from the VA instead of getting the help and feeling better.

Sorry but telling Vet's to keep their ratings just so they can collect blows my mind!

I am having surgery tomorrow on my toe/ankle condition and I hope to GOD they fix me and help me be able to walk without pain and I would give up that rating any day of the week to not have this pain.

OP you really hit a nerve with me...

Not sure that this would apply here and I may start another topic and branch off this discussion. While we are talking about proposals to reduce I had a baffling experience with a provider. The doc is a senior doc at his department and has been treating me for a few months now. This appointment was longer than the usual sessions. This doc disagrees with my diagnosis. Or rather disagrees with the diagnosis that was used in my rating. Although it is mentioned in my records PTSD, Anxiety, Depression, both military and private, he specifically stated that I am rated under Chronic Adjustment disorder, my decision mentions the above as it is written as " service connection for adjustment disorder with anxiety and depressed mood", however, him taking the time to point this out to me was odd.

He volunteered this information and stated that I should be rated under the correct diagnosis code, and that the rating code that was used to keep me at a lower level rating, specifically at an below the 50%. W

I mention this in this topic because it is out of the norm. Typically we as veterans have to fight tooth and nail to prove stressors and levels of impairment, I am a little baffled as to why this senior doc (department head) would volunteer this information to me and go out of his way to state this. Not only state it but show me on, the access file for my ratings/medical records on the computer. Not the typical experience.

I'm a seriously apprehensive, and suspicious person and I was thrown off track a bit by this medical professionals behavior. Especially when the norm is the opposite as this topic is illustrating. Usually, frankly, most of the time it's a proposal to reduce not the opposite.

I will find out soon enough. I just thought it ironic as we have been discussing the norms of trying to reduce. Still, I stand by what I and others have stated. Be truthful and don't game the system. Always be watchful and cover your six. I guess I'll find out soon enough if this is bait and switch scenario.

• HadIt.com Elder

ArNG11

Go get your report from this exam ASAP,,,Read what the Doc said.

...........Buck

I have Vets who come to me with a solid 10+ year rating for something who receive a "We are proposing to reduce your _____________ from 50% to 30%. You have 60 days to pitch a bitch." No exam-nothing. I think they have "reminders" that pop up on their c-files and tell them to revisit these claims with no apparent reason the Vet can discern.

I do not, nor will I ever condone cheating. With that said, I find silence is golden to be the best cure. If they ask you how much your drink, tell them your religion forbids it. Don't lie and say you don't drink or smoke. Simply make a broad, general statement. If asked for your pain level, tell the truth but qualify it for the record. Example "Well, today it's about a 4 but last week I was a mess with most days at 7/10".

Nothing would give me greater pleasure than to turn in my $39 K a year comp. for my old job as a builder. Most of the comments here are altruistic but the fact remains that VA loves to reduce if they think they can roll you. Many fail to NOD the reduction and end up having to refile later to get it back. If you halt the advance with a NOD instantly, you get to keep the rating until they can rustle up two C&Ps showing a clear improvement.

Most diseases or injuries are chronic like back, hepatitis C and the like but some are amenable to improvement. VA likes to prey on these folks-especially if they are underrepped by a VSO or pro se. I do not know how many rating decisions on this I have read on appeal at the BVA where they quote you chapter and verse from the VA Vista medrecs saying "Hey, the guy said he was good to go. We believed him". Diarrhea of the mouth is the blame for most reductions. VSOs are quite fond of telling you to sky down and shut up for fear of losing what you have. If that were the case, Berta and I would be in the basement on ratings.

And for the record, if you get better, you should get a reduction. I've been hornswoggled (one time) by a druggie who lied about his past on HCV. He won on appeal after I got him all the way to the DRO review with no luck. I found out later about the lies. I won't reveal his falsehoods to VA. I keep the same solid Green Wall of respect for my brothers and sisters. With that said, when I see obvious manipulation, I egress the situation as quickly as possible to avoid any appearance of sanctioning the mistruth. Quite frankly, I see a few here that appear to be asking for instructions on how to game the system from time to time. That disturbs me. Compensation is not a reward. It is not a jackpot like Las Vegas. It is remuneration for the inability to work. I call my method the Mirror Test. Can you look yourself in the mirror and say without a contrived answer that you are owed this rating?

Here's another insight: https://asknod.wordpress.com/2012/02/02/lettuce-depression/

ArNG11Go get your report from this exam ASAP,,,Read what the Doc said............Buck

already did. Waiting on the report from Evet. If I don't get access by tonight I'll head to the FOIA route. Well the release of information office actually, but Evet had been pretty dependable.