Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Disability Claim, Oif 08-09, Multiple Issues, Fasttracked

Rate this question

bluelotus

Question

ArNG, thank you for your response! I sure do appreciate it. If I request my c-file now, will that delay my claim? I am projected to have it done within the next 1-2 months.

Regarding the PTSD, I had an outside free mental health psychologist diagnose me with PTSD but after requesting a file on it, he told me they do not offer examination findings to the VA for such things. I'm seriously considering getting another opinion but am unsure if I would get a higher rating with Major Depressive Disorder, Recurrent. Also, are mental health issues reevaluated every year? I've heard that they will test to see if you're suffering the same ailments in the future, as they expect it to get better with time. I've been suffering from depression for over 5 years now but I keep at it.

What're the benefits in signing up for the Gulf Registry Exam? Will that delay my claim?

I'm just wondering if these things are something I should do after I've gotten my initial result or if I should inject them into it now...I've got a few things that I believe are secondary and related, (for instance, ED which I believe is secondary to the MDD and MDD as a secondary to low back pain)

Thanks for all the helpful responses!

Also, what's the best way to attain a civilian c&p exam report? Can I just go directly to the doc and request it?

No PTSD rating coming but you should get some sort of Depressive Disorder SC rating based on PTSD DBQ. Don't get your hopes up as far as a rating or the speed with which someone says your claim should be processed. In my limited VA Claims experience (1st clm 07/2008) I have never been able to locate any VA or VSO Employee that could give accurate Claims completion or Award information.

For future reference when attaching VA files, always a prudent move to Black Out you personal information. Are you currently in a VA Mental Health program? I don't recall the exact SC % required for application to the VA Vocational Rehabilitation Program, 20 or 30%. When you get your Award there should be a notification of eligibility for Voc Reb. It's a great program, take advantage of it. You'll receive a Stipend while being retrained, every little bit helps, right. Your still young, take advantage of the VA Programs, you can change your life around with the VA's assistance.

Semper Fi

Gastone

I appreciate the warm welcome, Andy, I was on another forum and I got about 5 responses from this same post, all with snide remarks and nothing of value, just trolling. Anyways, I am eager to hear back from the VA. Always disappointed when there's nothing in the mail from them, lol.

According to the VA rep at the hospital, he believes I have about another month to go before a decision is made. But, Ebenefits still says "Gathering Evidence"...This whole process, does it just happen that fast within the last month? My projected completion date is: 5/7 to 7/7, so I'm just wondering how exactly that works.

You will soon learn that ebenefits isn't accurate more than 50% of the time, as far as time lines or what stage your claim is at. I have a few claims in that have been "under review" for several weeks now. Also they a have an estimating completion date of 10/15 - 03/16. And I requested my C-file a month ago, and so I wait for that as well.

As for snide remarks, shouldn't get much of that here, at all. Since most of us are SC Vets, we are all experiencing the VA's standard practice of denial and disdain.

Hey and welcome!

From my experience going through process everything that ArNG11 has recommended is spot on.

After getting out of the NG the first thing I did was located the the medical command for my state. I went there and requested a copy of my entire military medical record. Took roughtly 5 days to get it.

Also, if you still have access to AKO - I highly HIGHLY recommend getting in and going through MEDpro's and downloading every single document they have on there. Everything as far as Pre-Deployment Health Screening, Post Deployment and Post Deployment Health Re-Assesesments, as well as all the Periodic Health Assesments.

You'll find out that as you get your military medical record some of the information will be missing - hopefully not true in your case. For me - My entire medical record from while i was deployed to Iraq in 2006-2008 does not exist. There is no copy of anything from while I was over there.

Another fun fact - I found out while talking to a friend he was able to get a memoradum for record from the LSA Enviromental Health Officer stating the conditions of the air quility and facts they found. I didnt get a copy of that but the memo covers the time periods I was there and covers all Soldiers living in the area during the time frame listed. So talk to more of your buddies and try to see if your medical records sync together(not in specific details- generally speaking) - if that makes sense.

Hope some of that helps you as well, and again welcome!

C

Blu,

I know at one time it used to be 20% required for the Voc. Rehab, I have a denial letter for that exact bennie from Jan of '99 stating I did not meet the minimum requirement of 20%. Strangely enough I didn't apply for that. And was in the midst of several claims from my EAS, and either it was just automatic or the benefit counselor put me in for it. A few months later I was SCD 30% dated 11-'98, which would have certainly qualified me for that Voc. Rehab benefit. But didn't know nuthin back then. Sure could have used it to get into a good career field back then, instead of lanquishing in entry level material handling jobs ever since. I couldn't understand how 6yrs AD USMC with honorable discharge got me nothing but entry level no experience neccessary positions. On top of all the mental baggage from AD, this just crushed what ever spirits/ hopes and dreams I had left.

As far as time frames, one of my initial claims took 22 months to clear, eventho I had a dozen entries in my SMR relating to my contention. And just recently I had a few claims that posted Jan '15 and cleared by May '15.

With time frames it can take a while, it is not consistent.

ArNG, thank you for your response! I sure do appreciate it. If I request my c-file now, will that delay my claim? I am projected to have it done within the next 1-2 months.

Regarding the PTSD, I had an outside free mental health psychologist diagnose me with PTSD but after requesting a file on it, he told me they do not offer examination findings to the VA for such things. I'm seriously considering getting another opinion but am unsure if I would get a higher rating with Major Depressive Disorder, Recurrent. Also, are mental health issues reevaluated every year? I've heard that they will test to see if you're suffering the same ailments in the future, as they expect it to get better with time. I've been suffering from depression for over 5 years now but I keep at it.

What're the benefits in signing up for the Gulf Registry Exam? Will that delay my claim? With that I would say it's a flip. Personally I would wait until you get your first decision. The claim is going to take as long as the VA wants to. Requesting your c file while a claim is still going on is something I wouldn't suggest, but that is just me. I asked for mine after my first claim was decided and literally from the day the VA received the letter I had 11" of cfile at my doorstep. Not typicall. The VA know why you want your c file. many times they stall.

I'm just wondering if these things are something I should do after I've gotten my initial result or if I should inject them into it now...I've got a few things that I believe are secondary and related, (for instance, ED which I believe is secondary to the MDD and MDD as a secondary to low back pain)

Also, what's the best way to attain a civilian c&p exam report? Can I just go directly to the doc and request it?

What're the benefits in signing up for the Gulf Registry Exam? Will that delay my claim?

Mr. A

:ph34r: " FIGHT TILL YOUR LAST BREATH " :ph34r: