VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Take The Va Doc Or Use Their Hired Guns?

Rate this question

CHerv08

Question

Hey Guys

I got a phone call today from the VA when scheduling me for an appointment. I was refered for to the gastro clinic by my VA primary. They called me today and informed me that the earliest I would be able to come in would be at the end of September. They said they would not give me an actual date and time for the appointment. They did however offer me some kind of "voucher" that will allow me to seek authorized outside treatment from a doctor of their chosing if I did not want to wait until September. They said their policy was to have someone seen by a doctor within 30 days or make outside treatment available to the Veteran.

My question - what would you guys recommend? I am was refered to this clinic for symptoms of IBS due to my time spent deployed and will be a part of my claim. Would you suggest waiting the 30 days to see an actual VA doctor or taking the oppurtunity to see one of the hired guns from the outside? What do you think would be best for gathering evidence for later?

I am all about getting my ducks in a row and I like to see what the best options available are before making my informed decision.

Thanks!

C

4 answers to this question

Do BOTH.

Simply use your voucher, and get a private medical exam. Then, go to your VA doc in September.

If the private medical examiner offers a more favorable opinion than your VA doc..you have an instant IME without having to pay for it as many have to.

I can not see a "downside" to using both.

Frankly, I would not use VAMC care if I could use private care, with a few exceptions. (As messed up as the VA is, they still have SOME very good docs, and, some poor docs have been in private care also. So, it goes both ways, but the preponderance of evidence for me is to go to the private doc when possible).

seems to me you have the option of the VA gastro clinic Sept or an outside "doc" earlier not both.

I'd go with the soonest appt. I would also expect that results would be provided to the VA, not you (like a C&P) unless you file a FOIA release for it- just my guess

I have Crohns, and actually going to have a FEE based procedure here shortly. There is nothing wrong with going outside the VA if you have too. I have had many Exams, Docs and procedures outside, and have not had any issues thus far. Do whatever it takes for you to seek treatment.