Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Initial Mh Eval

Rate this question

Andyman73

Question

Tomorrow afternoon I am going for my initial MH eval. Feels like the day I shipped out to boot camp, scared out of my mind!

Buck, Jerry, and John,

Youse guys are chock full of usefull info, thanks for sharing with me.

I know that I've been dealing with physical pain for 23 years, I fell down a flight of cement stairs on my 5th day of boot camp at MCRD San Diego, November 21st, 1992. And ever since that day I have been taking either Tylenol, Motrin(aka Vitamin M) Ibuprofen, Naproxin, and so on and so forth. I can't really take narcotics, because they disrupt my daily life. And cause stomach/gastric issues as well, which is also documented in my SMR. My alcohol abuse is documented in my SMR because they eval'ed me to see what level of Substance Abuse Counseling I required(L II, a 3 week outpaitient program). And the official questionaire that went along with same.

I know that medical science has documented long term use of the aforementioned meds are known to cause or increase depression. Add that with drinking to excess(which means till I passed out), stress from work, and untreated suicidal thoughts and such...it's no wonder I haven't gone completely outta my mind.

According to the PTSD quiz on MyhealthyVet, the 17 question one, I have all the signs of PTSD. When I submitted my answers, it came back saying "Seek help from a MH professional ASAP!

When the MH guy asked me why now, after all these years, I said, I thought I was the only one, that there wasn't any thing to be done for me. I knew all about the PTSD and MH treatment for combat Vets and such, or guys that were obviously having problems. But for me, I just thought "screw me, I'm stuck with the voices in my head" . It's only since I came to Hadit that I learned that there was help for Vets like me. And I told him that. He did say he was glad that I found Hadit, because it led me to seek MH help. And that's why 17 years after my EAS I am only now seeking help for my MH.

• HadIt.com Elder

I was told by a VA physiatrist that trauma event/injury or witness to a bad event during war or non war ect,,ect,,& can be withheld from the veteran for years until it starts to effect his life or the veteran ask for help.

so there's no limit to when this can happen.

Andman73 has most all the symptoms

...............Buck

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

Buck,

I was telling the MH doc that I often "see" people on the side of the road, at mailboxes, that aren't there, but then as I drive by..there they are! Scares the crap outta me, but when I check the mirror or turn my head, it's always just the mailbox. And as I was telling him that I suddenly remembered the incident I think caused that. One night I was driving home for a 4 day weekend, I was only 30-45 minutes away from base and I nearly hit a person standing in the middle of the road! It was a 55mph posted 2lane country highway. He was wearing all black, and not moving. My highbeams didn't even pick him out, it wasn't until I was close enough for my orange running light/blinker light to illuminate him, did I even see him! Basically it was only as I was passing him did he even become noticeable! I nearly crashed while trying to get stopped to check if I hit him. But when I reversed to the spot, he wasn't there. I had forgotten about this until the other day.