VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Acceptable Wait Time For Large Retroactive Pay?

Rate this question

mtkabbott

Question

I was seeing if I could get some advice/insight as to what I should do about my problem.

I retired after 24 years in September 2013 with my final discharge date being October 31st 2013. Unfortunately I received some bad advice, in my opinion, and did not file my disability claim until in November 2013. It seemed to go on track for the next few months until it got hung up in a review status and stayed that way until November 2014. At that time they requested I get re-examined. They reason they gave me was because it had been over a year since I retired so there might be additional issues to be listed on the claim. After the additional paperwork was submitted everything went rather quickly and I received my notification in late January 2015 that I was being awarded 80% and received my first monthly check at the beginning of March. During March I also received a letter indicating that while my award level wasn’t going to change I was going to received additional compensation due to some of my disabilities. About the time I received that letter I also found out my audit from DFAS had been returned and I began to patiently wait for my retroactive pay. When I heard nothing by May I began to inquire as to its status. The only information I could find out was that it was still being reviewed. I also found out the DFAS audit for the additional compensation had also come back in April. It was only recently through Hadit’s forums did I find out that retroactive pays larger than $25,000 have to go higher up for additional signatures.

At what point do I go beyond waiting and start calling/writing people? And who do I contact? I saw somewhere the mention of VSCM (Veterans Service Center Manager. How do I find mine?

You would think it wouldn’t take that long to review it since they already send you documentation clearly identifying/calculating what all you should have been paid in the first place. The other ironic part is that if it hadn’t taken them so long in the first place to process my claim, I wouldn’t have had such a large retro pay and would have probably received it by now.

Thanks for any advice (and the opportunity to vent).

What VARO is this....I am sure I have some contact info....

• HadIt.com Elder

mtkabbott,

could you possibly make your text just a little bit bigger.

If the VA has your retro in review be sure and check the dates because the longer they wait the bigger your retro should be.

Be sure to check your Bank Account every few days.

jmo

...............Buck

• HadIt.com Elder

Buck you can make text bigger. I do it by hitting ctrl and + key. Each time you do that text gets a little bigger

• HadIt.com Elder

You did not wait too long to file your claims. I would start calling and writing today about the retro.

John

Roanoke VARO

Director Keith Wilson
540-597-1120
540-597-1785 (Fax)

Keith.Wilson4@va.gov

VSCM
Dave Svirsky 540-597-1150
AVSCM
William Barksdale 540-597-1151
Lyn Cahoon 540-597-1153
Sherrie Mitchell 540-597-1152