Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Claim Status

Rate this question

DICK HILL

Question

Today 6 Jul 15, I called the Houston number and was told my claim is in something called "deferred status". Been in this status since 3 Jun 15. I was thinking maybe they want something else from me, but I have not received anything in mail and nothing shows up on Ebennies requesting anything from me. Anyone know what this status might mean? Will appreciate your thoughts. Dick Hill

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

The VA is really getting me confused.  My claim finally got back to the "Prep for Decision" phase on 3 Sep 15.  Now yesterday it went back to the "Gathering Evidence" phase and today 29 Sep 15, I received a call from the Frank Tejeda C&P clinic scheduling me for another C&P examination for my Cervical Spine, low back, and feet.  Last April 28th the LHI contractor gave me a C&P for Cervical Spine, Throco-Lumbar Spine, feet, hips, thighs, and right sciatic nerve.

My question is:  Can anyone guess as to why I am being scheduled for another C&P from the VA clinic when it has already been done by the VA contractor LHI.

Your thoughts will be greatly appreciated.  Dick Hill

The VA is really getting me confused.  My claim finally got back to the "Prep for Decision" phase on 3 Sep 15.  Now yesterday it went back to the "Gathering Evidence" phase and today 29 Sep 15, I received a call from the Frank Tejeda C&P clinic scheduling me for another C&P examination for my Cervical Spine, low back, and feet.  Last April 28th the LHI contractor gave me a C&P for Cervical Spine, Throco-Lumbar Spine, feet, hips, thighs, and right sciatic nerve.

My question is:  Can anyone guess as to why I am being scheduled for another C&P from the VA clinic when it has already been done by the VA contractor LHI.

Your thoughts will be greatly appreciated.  Dick Hill

Dont let ebennies status worry you. 

When we see this nice neat line of status updates we think of it as chronological...it wont go from gathering evidence to prep for decision unless all the evidence has been gathered right? This is based on whos court the ball is in, as it bounces from raters to more senior folks and back again it shows different statuses.  So say the rater was getting a decision ready based on their evidence but had a question and sent it to their supervisor, your claim is now with the supervisor and may show "prep for decision" but when the question is answered or its reviewed and sent back to them to be redone, etc. it will show back as "gathering evidence."

I sat at gatherinc of evidence for a month, then prep for decision for 2 months then back to gathering evidence and a C&P was scheduled.

As far as your question, it might be because the C&P conducted by LHI was not "adequate for rating purposes" or was just a shitty job done by them so they wanted another one before rating you.  My guess is it was a shitty job done, improper paperwork, etc. so they needed a new one.  Its all a waiting game.  Other than gathering and sending in the evidence with your claim and the actual responses in the exam all you can do is wait wait wait. 

I dont follow this advice, but its good advice.  Only chekc your status once a week. 

Like i said i dont do it, but i have gotten myself to the point where i only check it a couple times a week.  Playing the "wheres the VA Plinko landing today" game is very exhausting and nerve wracking.  really until it reads "letter sent" theres no real finality to any of the claims statuses and can jump backwards at any time.

You have gotten good advice.  I will add:

VA LOOOOOOVES to lose, or shred your evidence.  I have send evidence certified mail return receipt requested, and had VA say they did not get it, even when it was signed for by a VA employee.   

I sent them the post office receipt that they did get it because, of course, VA did not believe I had sent it.    It did not matter.  VA wants me to submit it again, and wants me to accept the later effective date.  This is a part of what I have on appeal.   VA shreds my evidence then says its my fault for not sending it.  

The VA also loves to foul stuff up in/with the computer.    Ebenefits is about as reliable as a drunk teenager.    It would be a good idea, to send an IRIS email but you can not count on IRIS either.