• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

School

Rate this question

95bmp

Question

5 answers to this question

I am 99% sure on this.

If you are 100% or TDIU you can seek forgiveness for your student loans. however your daughters cannot be, they are her loans not yours even if you were a co-guarantor on these loans.

You also cannot transfer someones student loans to yourself to have them forgiven, student loans are set up that way specifically so this doesnt happen. Same goes for it you went into civil service you can have loans forgiven however you cant transfer your wifes loans into your name and then do that, etc.

If she is disabled on SSDI or similar she could. However if you are 100% PT she could file under chapter 35 benefits for education benefits but this will have no bearing on the existing loans.

EDIT:

I misread, you said you are PT TDIU

Edited by USMC_VET

Daughter should be eligible for 45 months of DEA payments. If she applies and is approved, those payments may be made retroactively as long as the period of undergrad school work falls within the timeframe of your application and/or appeal for VA Compensation. See (http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/docs/pamphlets/ch35_pamphlet_2.pdf).

If your daughter is approved, and receives those payments, she could then apply them to her student loan balance.

Please see for some gotchas.

I hope this helps.

Jerry

Edited by TexasMarine

I was awarded tdiu p& t back to 2010. can my daughter get any help on her student loans duing that time?

From what I understand, you can reclaim Dependent Educational Benefits. If she accumulated the cost associated tuition and fees from any point after you were awarded TDIU P&T. Which was 2010? My recommendation is to visit Vonnapp and electrically submit VA Form 22-5490 Dependent Application for VA Educational Benefits. A VA Form 21-4138 statement in support of claim explaining your situation might help too.

I was Chapter 35 and these guys are right.

Chap 35 entitlement ran out under the original award ( 100& P & T for my husband) for me so I paid AMU either 6 thousand or maybe 8 thousand more for tuition to finish my degree (2007 Graduated)By then VA had paid about 7 thousand under Chap 35.

In 2009 I won a direct SC death award of my husband and the VA refunded the entire 6 or 8 thousand to me.

She will need to go over the links above and any Chap 35 info here that can help.

The dates of her attendance, proof that she paid the tuition, and her age are a factor in these types of reimbursements.

If she dealt with the college on line and has a college ID , they might still have her payment record available at her college profile page or ,for sure, their financial office would have it.

I was Chapter 35 and these guys are right.

Chap 35 entitlement ran out under the original award ( 100& P & T for my husband) for me so I paid AMU either 6 thousand or maybe 8 thousand more for tuition to finish my degree (2007 Graduated)By then VA had paid about 7 thousand under Chap 35.

In 2009 I won a direct SC death award of my husband and the VA refunded the entire 6 or 8 thousand to me.

She will need to go over the links above and any Chap 35 info here that can help.

The dates of her attendance, proof that she paid the tuition, and her age are a factor in these types of reimbursements.

If she dealt with the college on line and has a college ID , they might still have her payment record available at her college profile page or ,for sure, their financial office would have it.

Feeding off Berta's information. Your wife could be entitled to educational benefits too. As far as your daughter is concerned. She can approach her College or University's Veterans office on campus for assistance. They may help her with some of the finer points. The worse that can happen. They tell her they can't help her. JMO

Edited by MPsgt