Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Denied- Simple Error I Can Prove Wrong...help With Best Way Forward

Rate this question

burn2learn

Question

Hi All, thanks for any advice!

I have claim for PTSD that was denied. The stressor was not combat related, it happened during the Cold War while I was deployed in a submarine under the artic ice. I gave the VA an approximate date of stressor and was off about 3 months. I was denied only because the submarine was docked at the approximate date I provided in 1991. I have evidence to support the stressor date now in 2/1992. VA acknoleges PTSD just the stressor date is the issue.

I've read about reconsideratiions. But not sure it's a real VA process. I can file NOD...

When denied and you have a simple issue ( improvement on date stressor ).whats the best (fastest) way to get this reviewed? I'm a homeless vet and have that flagged on my claim so it helped a little with speed, but not care or quality. I'm a little disappointed I gave them an approximate date of deployment of 11/1991, and when they pulled my records from the USN they took it as absolute and could not see the deployment in 2//1992.

I like the idea of taking your evidence to the VARO and sitting down with your original rater prior to filing the NOD. However, having never tried it, can't believe a Vet can show up and get to see the Rater without some sort of appointment. Who does the Vet contact to make arrangemnts for an official meeting with his Denied Claims Rater?

Would his RO VSO handle setting up the appointment? Is it an automatic, that the Rater is required to have the N & M Evidence discussion, simply by the Vet requesting the meeting?

Semper Fi

Gastone