VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Er Visit Pid By Va?

Rate this topic

I know that when i did my VA orientation back was a noob greenie years back they said that i needed to make every effort to get to the VA ER or military, etc. if it was a true emergency i could go to a civilian hospital.

I threw my back out bad on tuesday, pain was excruciating. couldnt sleep until after 1 am. around 2 ish am i woke up and had to pee. i was crunched over and as i straightened out to get up to grab some naproxen out of the medicine cabinet the pain was too much. I blacked out and then hit my head on the medicine cabinet and fell on the floor. wife found me and woke me up.

She took me to the ER (we live exaclty 1 mile away so its faster than waiting 15 minutes to be dispatched by the volunteer ambulance, etc.

They gave me two shots in my back and then some valium, tramadol and oxycodone.

I gave them my employee healthcare info, however will the VA pay for this since the nearest ER is 2 hours away one direction or 50 minutes in another? Im thinking no since i wasnt having a heart attack

• HadIt.com Elder

You are required to contact the VA within 72hrs, of your treatment, at a civilian hospital. I suggest no later than 48hrs. They may or may not pay, as you are 60% but I'm not sure. The hospital is supposed to contact the VA, also.

Since you gave them your personal insurance info, the hospital will probably bill them, as they are quicker. The VA will not be a second payer. If the insurance company pays, good luck getting the VA to pay. jmo

Hope you're doing better!!! Back injuries really suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pr

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

I recently dealt with having the VA pay for a SC visit to a non-VA ER and subsequent hospitalization. The hospital, ambulance, doctor, radiologist, etc... all billed my insurance and then sent me bills for the leftovers. It took some struggling, but I did end up getting the VA to pay for it and get the costs refunded to my insurance carrier. I had to call every month and remind the VA to make payment because every 30 days, I would get bills in the mail. This is not an easy process. Definitely write everything down and mark your calendar. Be proactive and it will be easier. It took about six months to get everything straightened out.

• HadIt.com Elder

If he or spouse or someone from the hospital called VA reported it and his name and last 4 within the time limit I think the VA will pay. in an emergency like this.

jmo

.................Buck