Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C & P Has Me Seeing Red.

Rate this question

V6Pony

Question

I had a C&P that was just awful. The examiner was just condescending and hateful to my wife and myself. Any time we tried to make a point she would tell us we were wrong. At one point we cited information from my Dr. that was included on a DBQ;. She said that was just his opinion and it was not right. She was up on the science and forensics and my Dr. did not have the time to deal with that.

The C&P was in the morning. She later called me at home around 5: pm and said that she was trying to do me a favor in that she had looked at my DMII glucose numbers and there were not two consecutive test when the glucose was greater than 126. Keep in mind that I’m already SC for DMII. I looked at the DBQ and it says: FASTING PLASMA GLUCOSE TEST (FPG) OF >126 MG/DL ON 2 OR MORE OCCASIONS. “Not consecutive!”

Some of my lab test are done by outside dr’s these were filed with the claim but she said she did not have them. She wanted me to fax them to her. I said no I would just bring them down on Monday.

I just don’t know what to do with this she seems hell bent to punish me for some reason. I would like to find a way to keep anyone else from having to go through with this. Should I complain to someone? Should I request a new C & P? Should I go to the Patient Advocate? Any ideas how to protect my self from this crazy person? 

6 answers to this question

Sorry to hear you got one of those - I understand.

Many of us have experienced unpleasant, unprofessional and distressing comments/actions from C&P examiners and wondered if it was 'part of the game' or that these individuals are just disturbed.

Here's another member who recently experienced the same:

This is a legal process and your primary concern should be building a strong case for yourself apart from what some VA hired gun says.

For a 'non-adversarial' process, there sure are some people at the VA who act like enemies.

I'd get a copy of C&P when it's available and examine it to see what she actually writes.

Good luck! :smile:

Edited by Notorious Kelly

Sorry to hear of your issues but, but I have filed 4 FDCs and had over 30 C&Ps in the last 2 years at 2 VAs and 3 VESs, and 8 conditions Reviewed a year early. What I am trying to say is that majority of the Exams sucked, yet 90% of the conditions were not only granted but at high %s. Just wait and post your exam results on here and we will help best as we can. Good luck and God Bless

100% PTSD

100% Back

60% Bladder Issues

50% Migraines 
30% Crohn's Disease

30% R Shoulder

20% Radiculopathy, Left lower    10% Radiculopathy, Right lower 
10% L Knee  10% R Knee Surgery 2005&2007
10% Asthma
10% Tinnitus
10% Damage of Cranial Nerve II

10% Scars

SMC S

SMC K

OEF/OIF VET     100% VA P&T, Post 911 Caregiver, SSDI

Did your private doctor ever do a HBIAC test on you?

Was this C & P exam specifically for diabetes mellitus "

Was she a VA Endocrinologist?

Years ago a VA Endocrinolost tried to deny my AO DMII claim.

My dead husband had never been diagnosed or treated by VA for Diabetes.

I reviewed the medical records many many times because my daughter, a veteran insisted that I do that.

I also studied everything I could find on Diabetes Mellitus.

Finally I was 100% convinced that my husband had DMII from AO and I prepared a cover letter of the specific medical entries and evidence

which appeared in the med recs during the same time the Syracuse VA was trying to cover up other misdiagnosed conditions here at the Bath VAMC. The FTCA on that and the 1151 had been settled long ago regarding the other ways VA had caused his death,

but my daughter was right.It took me months to heed her advice because I didnt want to deal with VA ever again. Finally I filed the claim. A VA Endocrinologist C & P denied the claim.

I emailed Dr. Bash, NeuroRadiologist, and gave him a very brief run down of evidence I had discovered in the med recs. He said Sounds like a good case.

I emailed him his IMO fee, the cover letter ,and the medical records.And two posthumous C & P exams a VA Endocrinologist had done to deny that claim.

I had done extensive work and research on the claim by then,including it all in the cover letter.

The BVA awarded it and it trumped the 1151 DIC issue, as it had become a direct SC death.due to DMII untreated and undiagnosed DMII complications.

And due to that VA paid me Plenty under all the ancillary DIC direct SC benefits I didnt get with the 1998 DIC award under 1151.

I mention that point because if the VA kills you with piss poor medical care, they can deprive the spouse of benefits that only a direct SC death will extend to you.

That is why spouses of veterans who believe VA committed malpractice to the point of causing their spouses death, should file FTCA ASAP as well as Section 1151.

Although Dr Bash is a Neuro Radiologist, he had experience with "thousands" of MRIs involving diabetics.,as his IMos stated.

My husband's MRis revealed multiple areas of TIAs and stroke, consistent with untreated DMII.

He also had the complete written MRI results that were very detailed medically.

Also it took me many months to find a doctor who had made an entry in the med recs that someone had crossed out.He had left VA for private practice and was a Neurologist.

His brief 2 sentence IMO to me in email co oborated my IMOs from Dr. Bash.

BVA remanded the claim for one more C & P exam.

Three for ,so they apparently wanted 3 against.

I completely knocked down the 3rd C & P myself and sent my rebuttal to the BVA.

Not only was this not a cardio opinion that BVA ordered, but a PA's opinion.I knew more about DMII at that point than he did, and his long rendition to deny the claim was mere speculation.

BVA agreed with me that it was too speculative and awarded the claim.

Diabetes can be very costly to the VA. I think that is a factor in their thinking on diabetes claims.

If they can prevent major complications (where the cost is) they will and should....sometimes...

You might need a formal IMO from your private doctor following the IMO criteria here at hadit, if VA accepts this doctor's opinion over their DBQ.

Check the VA doctor out on healthgrades.

For all we know this C & P 'doctor. might be unqualified to even opine on diabetes at all.

Edited by Berta

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

Did your private doctor ever do a HBIAC test on you?

Was this C & P exam specifically for diabetes mellitus "

Was she a VA Endocrinologist?

Years ago a VA Endocrinolost tried to deny my AO DMII claim.

My dead husband had never been diagnosed or treated by VA for Diabetes.

I reviewed the medical records many many times because my daughter, a veteran insisted that I do that.

I also studied everything I could find on Diabetes Mellitus.

Finally I was 100% convinced that my husband had DMII from AO and I prepared a cover letter of the specific medical entries and evidence

which appeared in the med recs during the same time the Syracuse VA was trying to cover up other misdiagnosed conditions here at the Bath VAMC. The FTCA on that and the 1151 had been resolved, but my daughter was right.

I called Dr. Bash, and gave him a very brief run down of evidence I had discovered in the med recs. He said Sounds like a good case.

I emailed him his IMO fee, the cover letter and the medical records.And two posthumous C & P exams a VA Endocrinologist had done to deny that claim.

The BVA awarded it and it trumped the 1151 DIC issue, as it had become a direct SC death.due to DMII untreated and undiagnosed DMII complications.

And due to that VA paid me Plenty under all the ancillary DIC direct SC benefits I didnt get with the 1998 DIC award under 1151.

I mention that point because if the VA kills you with piss poor medical care, they can deprive the spouse of benefits that only a direct SC death will extend to you.

That is why spouses of veterans who believe VA committed malpractice to the point of causing their spouses death, should file FTCA ASAP as well as Section 1151.

Berta I have not been clear I had already had a dx for DMII from private dr by way of DBQ and lab test. Rated at 10%

The C&P was for Gen Med filing for secondaries CKD, Valv heart disease, and hypertension. The examiner is trying to absolve DMII rating as she is saying the glucose numbers were not consecutive.

Thanks

• HadIt.com Elder

I would suggest this, read this report asap

If this C&P was negative for you? request another C&P with a different Dr. report that you don't feel the examiner was doing the exam accurate as to the questions she asked and stating her opinion to another Dr (which would be your private Doc) so you don't feel the this exam was fair to you.

C&P Examiners should not say anything about what another Dr Diagnose is or about his/her opinion.

This examiner seems like a power thing and use her authority to pass you or flunk you (so to speak)

I hate examiner's like that.

TO BE SERVICE CONNECTED & POSSIBLE RATED TO A CERTAIN % This is why a veteran is sent to a C&P Exam.

Although they don't make the decision but what they put in there reports does have a conclusion to it as what the VA rater will decide.

A C&P Dr is there for one purpose to examine you for your conditions & to the degree your conditions are in, that you claim happen while in the military although some conditions may take a while/years to manifest them self's and the C&P Dr should have the correct Credentials and be qualified to do the Exam.

If all else fails spends a little $$ get a PRIVATE IME/IMO. Making sure the Dr is specialized and qualified in the area of your contentions & using the VA format/ guidelines which are here on Hadit.

jmo

...................Buck

Edited by Buck52

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

It seems a pattern emerging is C&P doctors not having the veterans entire medical file.

In order to properly opinion on a disability, all information (past/present) needs to be reviewed and incorporated in the decision.

The exam is important; however the totality of the disability (beginning thru present) needs to considered as well.

"NEVER GIVE UP"